Author Topic: How to change a Axle in a Magic Pie III?  (Read 3451 times)

Offline CamiloChile

• Confirmed
How to change a Axle in a Magic Pie III?
« on: July 29, 2014, 09:25:42 PM »
Dear friends, I need to change the axle of my MP3, how can change this? please suggest me the best metod.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How to change a Axle in a Magic Pie III?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 11:21:16 PM »
I have never had to remove the axle from the stator so I don't know how tightly it is fitted. It might knock out relatively easily or it might require a lot of force from a suitable press.

You will need to remove the brake disk mount (cooling fan) and then remove the circlip that secures the cable against the axle. It can sometimes be a bit awkward to remove where it fits into the tiny holes in the axle, but all you need to do is use a pair of pointed tweezers or a small thin flat blade screwdriver to gently ease out each end of the clip in turn:

Here is a picture showing the clip holding the cable nice and snug into the axle's recess, to keep it well away from the centre of the rotating cooling fan/disc mount assembly to prevent damage from chaffing:

You will then need to remove the controller as the axle has to come out from the controller side.

You will also need to remove the side cover on the opposite side to the controller to access the circlip that prevents the axle from being removed:

Remove the circlip using a pair of external circlip pliers and then see if the axle can be easily knocked out by using a hammer and a block of wood on the end of the axle. if you place an axle nut on the end of the axle and screw it on until it is level with the end of the axle it will provide a larger area for the block of wood to press against
If it doesn't knock out easily you will probably need to use a suitable press (hydraulic or mechanical) to gently press the axle out. (You will probably need to remove the stator assembly from the wheel first so that it will fit in the press.)
As the axle is removed, be careful not to loose the drive key that locates the stator onto the axle shaft.

Alan
« Last Edit: May 31, 2022, 11:11:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How to change a Axle in a Magic Pie III?
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2014, 12:17:10 AM »
Please forgive me for being a snoopy old bu!*ar, but what happened to your axle!

TTFN,
Dennis