Author Topic: 60v on the 2000w motor controller?  (Read 3099 times)

Offline Danw989

• Confirmed
60v on the 2000w motor controller?
« on: September 01, 2020, 02:13:03 AM »
Thanks for adding me to forums. Just started trying to get into
buildiing my own gokarts and I purchased the 1500w motor with
the 2000w motor controller. I was hoping to use a 60v flexvolt battery
to run the motor as it says 60v max on the purchase page. When I try to
change settings for the motor controller 48v is highest I am able to go.
Will I not be able to use my battery?

thanks for any help. I get barely any power to motor when pushing pedal down.

Edit:
Drained the battery 4-5 volts lower and motor started working perfectly. I guess was just at rhe upper limit of controler.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 06:10:47 AM by danw989 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 60v on the 2000w motor controller?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2020, 12:40:50 PM »
Hi Dan andto the forum.
The 2000W controller is typically sold as a 48V controller although it can run also on lower voltages:

Unfortunately, the 60Vdc (max) rating relates to the absolute maximum acceptable input voltage not the nominal battery voltage.

Typical "48V" batteries will have a nominal voltage of anywhere between 48V and 51.8V and a fully charged voltage of 54.6V to 58.8V which is within the absolute max 60V rating of this controller.
A typical 60V (nominal) battery can have a fully charged voltage of 67.2V which is too high for this controller and the excessive voltage can damage the controller's internal components.

Will I not be able to use my battery?

Quote from: Gary Salo, Golden Motor Canada 
You will need a USB cable to set the proper voltage. A fully charged 48/52 volt battery can read as high as 58 volts and the controller will still function up to 59.9 volts. If you attempt to run this motor with a battery over 52 volts you will burn the fets that are rated at 63 volts max. A fully charged 60 volt battery can read as high as 69 volts and will fry the controller as soon as you apply power. For a warranty controller replacement you must send it back to us for inspection. If the fets are burnt from over volting your warranty is void.

If the actual (measured) output voltage of your battery exceeds 60V, then you should not use it with the BAC-0501 controller.   :(

Alan