Author Topic: How to control two 3KW BLDC motors on separate axles (no differential)  (Read 2301 times)

Offline Philippe

• Confirmed
Hi,
I am building a small UTV and I plan to set up two 3KW BLDC Motors from Golden Motors ( one for each rear wheel and no differential) on my vehicle . My question is this: how should I go about speed control and motor rotation direction . My other question for Golden Motor is this: does the 3KW air cooled BLDC Motor come with a keyed shaft. It seem that both shaft types (key and spline) are available and it is not clear on the Canadian web site which it is.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How to control two 3KW BLDC motors on separate axles (no differential)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 10:16:28 PM »
Hi Phillippe andto the forum.

Driving one wheel per motor is not a problem as they will be able to rotate at different speeds/loads on corners with the same throttle signal.
Each motor will need its own controller and the two controller can be wired up to a single battery and just one set of controls (Throttle, reverse, cruise and brake switches etc..)
One motor will need to have two Phase wires and two Hall sensor wires transposed to permanently reverse the default direction of rotation.

To reverse the motor's default direction of rotation from the standard wiring, the Blue and Yellow Phase wires must be swapped over on the controller terminals, and the Green and Yellow Hall sensor wires must be swapped on the Hall sensor connector (ideally on the motor side of the Hall Sensor connector).

You will need to contact GM Canada direct via email, Phone or Live Chat regarding the motor shaft options to see which type they have in stock.

Alan

Offline Philippe

• Confirmed
Re: How to control two 3KW BLDC motors on separate axles (no differential)
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2020, 01:50:34 PM »
Thanks Alan this will help. :)