Author Topic: max amps goldenmotor 1000W  (Read 4314 times)

Offline pako77

• Confirmed
max amps goldenmotor 1000W
« on: August 25, 2011, 06:42:31 PM »
Hi everybody,
Question: does anyone tried how many amps a goldenmotor 1000W (rear) can handle for a few seconds? My setup is: goldenmotor 48V 1000W, Kelly controller 72V 100A, lipo battery 74V 13,2Ah.
Now I have limited the motor amps at 60A. I didn't change the wiring.
On my bike I can push 60A through the motor for a few seconds and 25-30A continous without getting the wiring and motor hot. I pushed at my work more then 80A (RMS) through a 20cm long phase wire from my motor and it is getting hot quickly, but after 5sec you can still hold the wire in your hand without burning it, so I think the wire is not a problem. But what about the windings?
Thank you.

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: max amps goldenmotor 1000W
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2011, 08:52:27 PM »
as the windings are much smaller than the wire, and there is no internal cooling, I would regard the outside wire getting hot (not warm) as a good dangersign of too many amps...once you reach "critical" in the windings, the heat will make the wires more resistant, which will make more heat, make more resistance etc.....

teh difference between 5 and 15 seconds might not mean 3 times more heat.....

I regularly peaked 55 amps, but settled for a nice safe zone of 40-45 amps peak...not much heat at that point
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 05:14:21 PM »
Hi everybody,
Question: does anyone tried how many amps a goldenmotor 1000W (rear) can handle for a few seconds? My setup is: goldenmotor 48V 1000W, Kelly controller 72V 100A, lipo battery 74V 13,2Ah.
On my bike I can push 60A through the motor for a few seconds and 25-30A continous without getting the wiring and motor hot. I pushed at my work more then 80A (RMS) through a 20cm long phase wire from my motor and it is getting hot quickly, but after 5sec you can still hold the wire in your hand without burning it, so I think the wire is not a problem. But what about the windings?
Thank you.

Pako what kind of speed are you getting from your beast! ??

Do you have any pictures of your build? I am super curious...... Monkey is on a need to know now basis lol

Offline pako77

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2011, 07:29:38 PM »
Hi everybody,
Thank you.

Pako what kind of speed are you getting from your beast! ??

Do you have any pictures of your build? I am super curious...... Monkey is on a need to know now basis lol

With the motorcurrent limited on 40A, I got 65km/h with a rather big headwind (deliver about 150W-200W myself and sitting low on the bars). With the current on 60A, the accelaration is WAY bigger than on 40A, so with no wind and 60A, it should be far more than 80km/h.
I haven't tested the max speed, because I'm scared that I burn the wirings and destroy the dropouts of my bike (and hurt myself or worse...). But tomorrow I am going to make a torque-arm so that I don't have to worry about that.
I can go to 100A motorcurrent, but I want to know if I can use the full potention of the controller without destroying the motor instantly. The test phase wire I pushed 180A through it for a few seconds and it getting hot (60-80 degree celsius), but for a few seconds it is fine I think.
Please give me more information.
More to come...