Author Topic: Instructions for programming  (Read 4304 times)

Offline REV Bikes

• Confirmed
Instructions for programming
« on: August 18, 2011, 05:35:00 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on using the programming interface?
Would be great to have a manual for this, to avoid having to teach one's self through trial and error.

Thanks,
REV chic

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
Re: Instructions for programming
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 05:28:57 PM »
There's not much to know.  The only thing worth altering is the Regen braking strength if you have one of the larger motors fitted. Just follow the 'command' buttons on the right hand side and press store and exit when you have adjusted.  Changing the amp setting will have little if any effect unless you want to lower amp power from a big battery to a small motor. 
There is no real hidden knowledge to be had with the software. 

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2011, 08:51:38 AM »
Does anyone have any tips on using the programming interface?
Would be great to have a manual for this, to avoid having to teach one's self through trial and error.

Thanks,
REV chic

As Andrew said, but just remember not to have your battery connected whilst using the USB cable.
You just need to plug the cable into your wheel wiring harness, then plug the USB into your PC.

Once you have the screen up, you can click "Connect" and should see "Connect Success" bottom left corner of the window.

Now you can 'Get Config' to retreive the current wheel settings, or adjust the properties in the software and click "STORE/SAVE"

Once you save, it should say so bottom left corner of the window.

All finished? click Disconnect. Yeehaww

Offline REV Bikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2011, 03:56:31 AM »
Thanks guys, useful tips for a beginner :)
Golden motor says I can program the system between 200w and 1000w, how is this achieved?
I understand the lower voltage systems only can get the lower wattages.
In Australia, we are meant to be under 200w, so this is the part I need some accuracy with if possible.

Thanks,
REV Chic

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2011, 10:06:33 PM »
You can simply adjust the maximum wattage being produced by the motor by limiting the current:

As Watts = Volts x Amps, then Amps = Watts/Volts.

This makes it relatively easy to calculate the required current, but you need to add ~25% extra to allow for the motor's efficiency of ~80%.
(The power consumed by an electric motor is always greater than the actual power it produces.)

200Watts/24Volts x 1.25 = 10.42Amps (10Amps @ 80% efficiency = 192Watts, 11Amps @ 80% efficiency = 211.2Watts)

200Watts/36Volts x 1.25 = 6.94Amps (7Amps @ 80% efficiency = 201.6Watts)

200Watts/48Volts x 1.25 = 5.2Amps (5Amps @ 80% efficiency = 192Watts, 6Amps @ 80% efficiency = 230.4Watts)

I can't possibly see how the authorities could accurately measure the power output from your bike, so you could simply set the maximum current slightly higher and explain that the motor is not very efficient: ::)

If you run 10Amps max @ 36V it will actually consume 360Watts of power, but if you had a motor that was only 55% efficient, then the actual output would only be 198Watts! ;)

I hope this helps.

Alan