Author Topic: GM Magic Pie Hub seems to be locked?  (Read 4559 times)

Offline Trev

• Confirmed
GM Magic Pie Hub seems to be locked?
« on: January 12, 2011, 07:54:11 AM »
Hi,
I recently installed a front wheel GM hub kit. Everything seemed to work fine the first few test rides.
However on my last test run I was riding down a hill and braked (Nothing I have not done before with this motor). The motor then started to shudder and make a strange noise. From then on, it became very difficult to even push the bike. It feels like every time I turn the motor a few degrees it is restricted by one of the magnets. Even with no power applied it is very difficult to move the wheel, which makes me think it is some sort of mechanical problem and not the anti-theft feature?

I have opened up the case and I can't see any significant damage. The only thing I notice is that one portion of the magnets is touching the inner section that contains the windings (see photo). This seems to be where the additional resistance is coming from.  I assumed that when the motor is fully assembled the two covers would centrally align the inner section so that it is central and not in contact with any of the magnets?

Is my motor permanently damaged??? I hope not, because I have hardly used it!!

Does anyone have an idea of what could be wrong?
Thanks!

Offline Hardcore

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: GM Magic Pie Hub seems to be locked?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2011, 01:51:33 PM »
I';ve had that one to, it happens while braking. In my case, checking all the connections was the answer.
Try disconnecting everything->
then try to connect the throttle, try using it.
then disconnect it and try the cruise control, if you have one. maybe it will work on half speed
can you post the results of the above checkpoints?

after you checked your wiring harnas, also if you solderd this would be nice to know and if you could take picture of the wires, but that's only if the others don't succeed.

Offline Trev

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2011, 12:28:26 AM »
Hi Hardcore,

I tried your suggestion and disconnected everything.
Then I connected the throttle. When I try to use the throttle the wheel jerks as if it is trying to turn, but then nothing.
Then connected the cruise controller and nothing.

I measured the voltage on the throttle and it varied between 0-5V when twisted, so I know that it is working. Also the cruise control and brake switches are working fine too, as they are all normally open and they close when activated.

I did reduce the length of the cables and soldered the connections, however I am still using the supplied connectors so that I can easily disconnect each component (see photo).

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2011, 02:11:53 AM »

Hi Trev,

Unfortunately, it sounds as if the controller itself will have failed.

If you purchased the motor direct from GM in China you will need to email tom@goldenmotor.com and explain that the motor jerks and will not run, and also the wheel is difficult to turn.

If you purchased the motor from a local dealer, you will need to contact them instead.

Let us know how you get on.

Alan