Author Topic: Flat Tires ...  (Read 2512 times)

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Flat Tires ...
« on: December 07, 2020, 10:21:51 PM »

OK this may seem out of bounds for an ebike forum ... I have another flat tire on my ebike .. What is the best way to avoid them ??? I have the kenda tire with the most flat protection you can get ...A tire " Liner " and was using a thick tube with leak stop in it .... I ride 6 miles nearly every day and check the tire pressure every day ...These kendas are made for ebikes they will hold up to 80 psi and tons of weight ... Rode yesterday no problem ...no problem since I installed this tire 3 months ago ...Then last night the tire went flat while sitting inside my apt..

It is just such a pain that i'm looking for any suggestions ... Thanks ...sorry this is so long ...Don J

PS got it apart and it is one tiny hole on the top of the tube like a snakebite puncture .. I keep the tires full and theirs nothing wrong with the rim strip .. Sooo what caused it ?? Just trying to avoid future flats ...
« Last Edit: December 07, 2020, 11:52:38 PM by diverdon »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Flat Tires ...
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2020, 11:32:53 AM »
Hi Don,

This might sound like a silly question, but are you using the correct width inner tube for the tyre?

My original inner tubes were meant for 26" x 1.5-2.1" tyres, but when I put some 26" x 2.35" wide tyres on the bike I experienced fast deflation of the tyres from tiny thorns etc. because the inner tube was being excessively stretched to fill the inside the wider tyre.

Since I fitted the correct sized tubes (26" x 2.1-2.5") filled with Slime, I have only been inconvenienced once from a puncture after a 1/4" wide sharp piece of stone sliced through both the tyre and the tube. :(
Fortunately it was on the front wheel, so I was able to wheel the bike on the rear wheel for the last 2 miles of my 7 mile ride and was also able to use the motor to assist on steep hills.
This was definitely the longest wheelie my bike has ever done.  ;D

Whenever I have had to repair a puncture in the past, I have always tried to identify the precise part of the tyre where the puncture occured. I always mark the valve position and direction of the tyre before removing the tyre, and then I mark the inner tube direction as it is removed.
I then inflate the tube to locate and clearly mark the air leak and then place the tube against the tyre matching the valve position and the direction markings to locate the puncture area on the tyre.
I then carefully inspect and feel for any sharp intrusions in that area (inside and out) and make sure that any broken thorns or small pieces of metal, glass or stone etc. are carefully removed before refitting the repaired tube. In some instances, I have used superglue to repair the split in the tyre and placed a rubber patch on the inside of the tyre to help prevent future problems.

Always make sure that the inside of the tyre and the outside of the inner tube is completely clean and dry prior to assembly, as even a tiny piece of grit in between the tyre and the tube can eventually result in an unwanted puncture.

After installing a repaired tube, I always inflate the tyre to the maximum stated pressure and ensure it is holding pressure and seated correctly on the rim before refitting the wheel and lowering the pressure to my preferred ride pressure.

Unfortunately, it's impossible for me to say what has caused your particular puncture, but hopefully the above information will help you to locate the cause if it happens again.

The only guaranteed way of avoiding punctures altogether is to fit solid tyres, but I have not been able to find any in a 26" x 2.35" size that would fit the narrow GM rims.

Alan

Offline diverdon

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: Flat Tires ...
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 04:53:34 PM »

Thanks so much Alan ...You gave me some good info ... The right size tube tip is a good one .. I took my MP Wheel to a trusted local shop to have them put it back together as I wasn't sure I was doing it correctly ... Showed the mechanic the old tube with the hole as if it was a pinch flat ...on the rim side of the tube ...he put another rim strip on top of the MP liner on the wheel ... I used a bell extra thick tube that came pre "slimed" same tube as came out ..And yes it is the correct size ...The Mechanic said I was way overkill when he forgot to put the tube to tire liner in ..but then he went back and installed the liner ...

Alan have you ever had problems with the slime causing your schrader valve to stick ? I check my tires every time I ride and once I got a partal leak during the ride from the schrader valve .. I still use the slime although it didn't stop the tiny 1/16 - 1/8 hole in the tube from leaking like crazy .. My last ebike went years without a flat 700 size tires same deal flat resistant tires ...a liner and thick slimed tube .. My arthritis made it so I couldn't get my leg over the seat and I fell getting on and off a couple of times ...gave the bike to a friend ... The step thru/ladies bike I have now stopped that problem ....but 4 flats in 1 year is too much ...

Thanks Again for all the help ... I hope your luck is better than mine ... Don J.