Author Topic: Smart Pie 5 PAS sensor  (Read 2024 times)

Offline Hannes

• Confirmed
Smart Pie 5 PAS sensor
« on: October 16, 2020, 08:43:05 AM »
hi,
my new project (build some bafang middrivebikes the last years)is a leiba classic veleomobile with a smartpie5 rear motor.
using middrivekits is not possible (too less space) and I did not want to use an geard hubmotor.
so smartpie5 I think is the best sollution for this, I want to use my 48V 17,5 ah battery from my ebike

in austria we have to use a pass-sensor for legal using an e-bike...dont ask me why ?
i ordered my motor with a display, thump-gas but there was no pass-sensor included.
so I ordered  this one online with 12 magnets

https://www.amazon.de/SODIAL-Elektrisches-Fahrrad-Assist-Magnete/dp/B07TXTQP6Y/ref=sr_1_30?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=e-bike+pass+sensor&qid=1602837441&sr=8-30

so can I use this sensor with the sp5 or do I need the gm pass-sensor?

thx and excuse me for my bad english

hannes

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smart Pie 5 PAS sensor
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2020, 12:37:58 PM »
Hi Hannes andto the forum.

Unfortunately it is difficult to say whether that PAS sensor will work with the Smart Pie controller, as they don't mention which signal system it uses. :(

The GM sensors are the Typical PAS type with a single signal wire that sends regular pulses, but only in the forward direction.
Check out the Signal Types for Basic PAS Sensors section on the eBikes.CA website for further details.

Some sensors produce a variable analogue voltage output based on the pedal rpm, but those may need to be wired directly into the throttle signal wire to allow them to work.  ;)

If you install the wrong type, you may find that it will work when pedalling in either direction, or perhaps not work at all.  ::)

Alan

Offline Hannes

• Confirmed
Re: Smart Pie 5 PAS sensor
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2020, 05:57:25 PM »
hi alan,
thank you for your hint. I think that is not a great problem, because this sensor is very cheap. so I hope is has only basic functions.
if not I order the gm sensor.
thx hannes