Author Topic: Regenerative Braking Problems???  (Read 8631 times)

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
Regenerative Braking Problems???
« on: November 06, 2011, 06:08:45 AM »
Why does regenerative braking work in (Burst)?

example:

it's not a constant stopping tug from the GM it's more like every 3 seconds a tugs for a 1 good second.
it does this repeatedly until your at about 15 mph then it becomes a constant tug to a complete stop.

so if I'm going too fast, it doesn't have a constant stopping feel... WHY IS THIS?

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: Regenerative Braking Problems???
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2011, 06:41:37 AM »
Is this on a fully charged battery ?
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
yes....

Offline chvojka

• Confirmed
    • e-bike
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2011, 10:18:50 AM »
Hi everyone, in advance please excuse my English, I can not say a word in English.

I have another problem with regenerative braking, and that he hampered the flow to the torch is just a very short pulse, and the rest is lost away.
Control unit have the original Magic Pie adjusted to 40A peak.
E-brake wheel while completely stopped.
Well, when I had the old magic unit (which had a problem with 15A max) and then went all the current to the batteries and about 13 km / h brake already weakened and 6 km / h completely vanished.
Should not you have someone too similar problem and know how to resolve it? or where it would be a possible solution? : (
Chvojka from the Czech Republic

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2011, 10:42:04 PM »

If the battery is almost fully charged, and too much voltage is being produced by the regen, the battery will be unable to safely absorb the energy being generated without the possibility of sustaining damage. In order to prevent the battery from being overcharged, the Battery Management System (BMS) should disconnect the cells when the battery voltage reaches a certain limit, thus protecting the cells.

With the battery now disconnected, there is no resistance to produce the regenerative braking effect and the cells, which are no longer being charged, will slowly decrease in voltage until they fall below their safe maximum limit, at which point they are electronically reconnected and regen will start to work again.

This cutting in and out of the regen should not happen so much when the battery has been used for a while, but you may find it still occurs, but at much higher speeds when the high current being generated may still cause the voltage to rise too high.

Similar problems can also happen with poor battery connections. ::)

Alan

Offline chvojka

• Confirmed
    • e-bike
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 08:45:44 PM »
batteries it is not, you have strong enough http://www.jino.cz/li-fe10000-1cl-headway-38120se-4590.html 15X.
no longer is it not more involved and buy a new controller from Kelly KBS48121, 50A,24-48V, Mini Brushless DC Controller you think is good enough?
Chvojka CZ.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2011, 03:51:01 PM »
I think you are saying that at low speed the regen braking stops working.

I do not know if that is on purpose or if it can be configured.

Offline chvojka

• Confirmed
    • e-bike
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2011, 06:03:42 PM »
well the point is that when regeneration works correctly and with decreasing speed decreases, the engine simply can not produce enough current to recharge batteries at such low speeds, but if the engine braking to stop it is strictly connected to the short circuit (controlled) and should not recharge the batteries.
I can not ask for any experience with the above unit postovanou Kelly? be unnecessarily did not constitute new topic:)
Chvojka CZ.

Offline MagneticMotorE

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2011, 09:03:57 PM »
I think you are saying that at low speed the Regen. braking stops working.

I do not know if that is on purpose or if it can be configured.

no I'm saying that if I'm going close to full speed or full speed, the Regen. Braking only works in "pulses" every 3 seconds until it reaches around 15mph. When at slow speeds, it works "constantly-consistently"

I was hoping that it would work "constantly-consistently" at all times... and if I'm going downhill, it's a little worse.