Author Topic: Regen function of VEC-200 Controller  (Read 3356 times)

Offline VSpecII

• Confirmed
Regen function of VEC-200 Controller
« on: October 10, 2018, 04:48:35 PM »
I am building a hybrid go kart with a Honda GX200, and a 3kW motor from GoldenMotor. I have a question regarding the controller VEC-200; The regen function, does it monitor battery charge levels and lowers the current as the battery pack approaches SOC 100 percent? I want to get a complete kit from GoldenMotor but if the controller does not support this functionality then I'll have to go for a Kelly controller. Any advice appreciated, thank you.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Regen function of VEC-200 Controller
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2018, 06:24:20 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

The truthful answer is I don't know what happens when the generated voltage approaches the maximum charge voltage of the battery, presumably the "High voltage protection value (V)" setting in the controller will cut the regen when the maximum set voltage is reached, but I don't know if this actually happens by gradually decreasing the current, or whether it simply cuts out completely until the voltage falls below the "High voltage protection exit value (V)"

I have no direct experience with the VEC-200 controller, but the 30A vector controllers fitted to the hub motors definitely reduce the current gradually to ensure that the voltage stays above the "the Low voltage protection value (V)" setting to prevent the battery from being overdischarged.
If the VEC-200 does the same under power at low voltage setting, then I would expect it to work in a similar fashion under regen when approaching the High voltage setting to prevent the battery from being overcharged, but that doesn't necessarily mean that it will.  :-\

I don't suppose many users of the VEC-200 controller will have experienced regen voltage approaching the maximum battery charging voltage, as most applications will draw at least 90% more from the battery than the regen will put back.

Presumably, if the regen doesn't control the maximum voltage it then the battery's BMS will step in.

You can try emailing GoldenMotor in China (sales@goldenmotor.com) and see if they can give you a definitive answer.

Alan

Offline VSpecII

• Confirmed
Re: Regen function of VEC-200 Controller
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2018, 09:06:32 PM »
Glad to be here, thank you for the reply!

I've emailed them, will keep the forum posted. Hopefully they'll get back to me.

Has anyone in this forum ever tried experimenting with super-capacitors in their projects I've been looking at them a lot recently for the go kart, they look like a fun toy! (A dangerous toy, but nonetheless a toy).

Andrew