Author Topic: Controllers with Variable Braking  (Read 3301 times)

Offline KevinD

• Confirmed
Controllers with Variable Braking
« on: August 08, 2017, 05:48:44 PM »
Hello,

Does Golden Motor provide any controllers with variable braking? I know the VEC controllers have on or off braking with a bike handle switch, but is there a product with an option to plug in something like a pedal and adjust the amount of braking based on user input?

Thanks!

-Kevin

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Controllers with Variable Braking
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2017, 06:17:12 PM »
Hi Kevin,

I am not aware of any GM controllers that have variable regen apart from one of the smaller hubmotor controllers that were sold about 8 years ago.

The regen was automatically activated as the throttle was released and progressively changed from engine power to variable regenerative braking as the throttle was released.
Releasing the throttle completely resulted in maximum regen, which must have made hand signalling very difficult.  ::)

Variable regen controlled by a hall sensor brake lever would be a very useful addition to the modern sine wave controllers, but I have not seen any sign of one being produced yet.
I previously requested this function almost 8 years ago, well before the sine wave controllers were released:

Yao,

I know you're all very busy at the moment, but I wanted to make some suggestions, which your technical guys at GM might want to think about:

Would it be possible to modify speed controllers (Magic Pie included) to allow variable regen?

This could be controlled either by using an additional thumb throttle to control the amount of braking, or preferably with a purpose made bi-directional (dual action or two-way) twist throttle .

It should be easy enough to accomplish using twin hall sensors and 4 wires instead of 3 and would obviously need to spring back to the mid position when released.
Simply twist backwards for throttle, or twist it forward for variable regen braking. (Or to operate reverse when you're already stopped.)

I think this would be far better than the existing "All or Nothing" regen, especially with smaller wheels when regen braking can sometimes be too much. (Or on a dual motor setup).

The cruise control could also be modified to also give a constant braked speed using variable regen braking.
If your cruise speed was set at 15mph, regen would automatically cut in if this speed was exceeded on downhill stretches, instead of simply stopping the power to the motor, which I presume is the current method. (No pun intended!)

A dual action throttle could be used for forward and reverse without the need for a separate switch, and could also allow a conventional "twist back to accelerate" action, if it is fitted on the left hand side of the handlebars. (i.e. when twist type gears are already fitted on the right)

If it is possible, it would be nice to see it incorporated.

Does anyone else think this might be a useful improvement?
I'd like to have your opinions and/or suggestions.

Alan

My Vectrix scooter has variable regen and uses exactly the same method that I suggested (a two way throttle that twists forwards for variable regen and reverse) but the cruise control is very basic and does not activate the regen (or even cut the motor power) if the set cruising speed is exceeded.

Alan