Author Topic: MagicPie-3 motor problems plus controller Program access  (Read 8015 times)

Offline Onetom2

• Confirmed
MagicPie-3 motor problems plus controller Program access
« on: May 26, 2012, 08:35:10 AM »
After my Mini motor was making grinding noises and after much procrastination I decided to give the magicPie III kit a go. Installed it today checked and double checked test spin on stand OK battery up got out side and wow it was go go stop go stop go stop chitty chitty bang bang all over again? Next I tried to connect up to the MagicPie-3 motor controller Program but unfortunately kept getting "Run-time error '339' Component 'MSCOMCTL.OCX' or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: file is missing or invalid. I had hoped to have done some checks using this but can anyone help or is this program not for magicPie III? The problem I am facing with the motor at this instant resembles Sean's post and it looking like his battery and I really have a funny feeling its history repeating itself. My battery has been through some hard history but it was doing fine this morning when I nipped down the shops despite the mini motors grinding noise. Naturally I am looking at the motor being at fault yet it runs fine no load? HELP tell me there is hope, please.

Excuse me for being slightly blind, but I only just twigged to the separate software product sale and subsequent costs including post & packing. Bit like flogging a car without the steering wheel really, ain't it? I would have thought the least they could have done was to somehow place this item "Programming Interface for MagicPie-3 Kit Item no. PI-300I" in the kit ordering window? maybe as part of the USB cable item...with or without...but I'd hardly think....oh nevermind.

Despite all this my Golden Motors MagPie 3 "bucking bronco" is pulsing on and off with only the green light dipping briefly and when I spin with no load I detect some untoward noises?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 07:31:36 AM by onetom2 »

Offline dallasdick

• Confirmed
Re: MagicPie-3 motor problems plus controller Program access
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2012, 07:05:15 PM »
The software is very touchy and will not install correctly and run unless you set up in XP (Service Pack 2 or 3) compatibility.  I've had to download it several times myself to get an install to stick.  That said, do not use winzip to unzip the folder, it will fail every time.  I used 7ZIP and it unzipped fine.  Hope that helps. ;D

Offline Onetom2

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2012, 05:33:20 AM »
Thank you dallasdick I actually converted to 7zip years ago and pleased to learn your tip using that program.
I will try to install the program as you suggested.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2012, 09:55:41 PM »

I used the PD_282_speed.rar and installed it as shown below.

Check out this post for more details regarding problems with the software.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 02:14:32 AM »
Nice work Alan,

You should make this post easy to find. Maybe a spot in the user guide section.

Gary

Offline Onetom2

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2012, 01:25:43 AM »
My sincere thanks for the instruction guide it is worthy of a permanent location with one small proviso. The problem I was blocked by was infact to do with windows 7 and the absence of the MSCOMCT2.OCX file in the system folder.

(unfortunately I couldn't figure out how to insert the screen shot picture here)

First I went to http://majorgeeks.com/faqshow.php?id=8 but the file there could not be registered on my Windows 7 so I logically went here to the 'Windows 7 Forum' But once again downloading and installing I got another error message: 0x8002801c. Apparently this is quite normal and discovery is all part of being a Microsoft fan, isn't it? So I had reached the inner sanctum by accidental means and if you happen to have the Windows7 Home premium 32 bit there is one more little scroll down passed the file that looks like the right one to a little note saying: “If you need an up to date version of mscomct2.ocx you can get it from:

http://activex.microsoft.com/controls/vb6/mscomct2.cab

Now, please excuse me for being so lacking in detail but I am sure you'd all get it sorted quicker than I did. I just thought since Bikemad (Alan) had done such a fantastic graphics job I felt  I needed to add this little windows 7 anomaly just in case. Apparently the file in question is often used by virus and AV software may have taken it away, so implant at your own risk, they said. By the way once you've put it into your system 32 folder and failed to register because another error window pops up, just switch the darn machine off avacuppa and come back chances are the  'Personalised Settings Unit' will work. It did for me, but then I was drinking Twinings English Breakfast
Regrettably I am still faced with the original problem of the bucking bronco bike despite adjusting the 'amps' continuous and the 'amps' max...not to mention that deep low level rubbing I get from the MPIII
I had hoped to add hyperlinks but don't know how to do that either
cheers
Tom

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2013, 08:48:01 AM »
It might help to extract all the files that need to be extracted from the .rar file type before running SETUP.EXE.  Rar compression encrypts the contained files from any the install process.   If Setup.exe requires a local copy of the service files and to register the services the OCX must be in their correct locations, or else then it will fail to in stall properly and not work.  I don't know, just a guess.  Many copies of xp end up getting OCX services installed with GPS devices and what not in their lives so on some machines just running setup works.   Cant say it is the same for all compression types and xp machines, sometimes compression utilities install shell access into your system, sometimes a windows update or new/redundant compression algorithm, bugs that access, your really cant tell.

Bring it on