Author Topic: MP3 issue, throttle and voltage cuts out  (Read 4608 times)

Offline Etrike

• Confirmed
MP3 issue, throttle and voltage cuts out
« on: December 16, 2016, 06:48:38 AM »
 Hey all, Patrick from AZ, I could use some help. So I started having problems with my MP3.   Its hard to explain and  I have not  been able to find the issue on the board. With a full battery,  I can sometimes ease into throttle, but most if the time all power is cut and  voltage drops from 50~ down to under 40. I have all lights before I hit the throttle and then only the empty light flashes.

Here is a Video https://youtu.be/RC7VZUMTIdc
https://goo.gl/photos/89bdDbuKzVgzEy86A
https://goo.gl/photos/RW6Unn7FK5xTzoG37
« Last Edit: December 16, 2016, 09:56:40 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP III issue, throttle and voltage cuts out
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 10:27:34 AM »
Hi Patrick andto the forum.

After watching your video, it definitely looks as if you have a poor connection somewhere on the battery power supply between the battery cells and the Wattmeter, and it is obviously being affected by movement of the bike (The voltage clearly jerked up at 2:39 and back down again at 2:47 when rolling over the raised expansion joint in your garage floor). Try wiggling the wires near the battery when the fault is there and see if it makes any difference.

Check all wiring connections on the battery supply circuit (including the wattmeter connections if necessary) and make sure the contacts on the battery connector are clean and that the plug is properly inserted.

If your battery has a key switch, it could be the contacts inside the switch that are worn and making a poor connection, but I suggest that you check all the external wiring connections first.  ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 10:23:41 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Etrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2016, 04:18:53 PM »
Thanks, Alan,

I did check this before, but only by wiggling the connection at the battery. I really hope this is it.. cuz that's an easier fix.

It does happen without the watt meter, I don't have the watt meter on regularly. I only had it for this trouble shooting.

I'll go check the connections.  I have the dolphin battery pack  https://lunacycle.com/batteries/packs/48v/48v-panasonic-11-5ah-or-13-5ah-dolphin/

I'll let you know in a few. Thanks again

Patrick.

Offline Etrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2016, 09:11:09 PM »
Ok all,
I'm leaning away from the external battery connections from being the issues.
 No wiggling or jostling at the battery mount make any change. Apart from opening the battery mount terminal. I have done everything I can think of. I will open it up just to check. With a volt meter I checked the battery main terminal an it registers 50v.

The trouble shooting I went through as well see attached

Power on but controller disconnect still reads the same less that  40v empty light flashes
Power on controller disconnected and load (power connection to motor) disconnected reads 50v.

Offline NR

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2016, 10:23:44 PM »
I would suspect the battery or bms, have you tried another battery?

Offline Etrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 01:00:09 AM »
Well I don't another battery,hmmm.  I'm thinking it had to do with load if that helps. I disconnected the brake wires... and it happens more often if there is load. I.E. Applied the brake a little and its seem to put it into this crazy mode. But getting it out is random. I have checked every connections outside of the Battry and holder.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2016, 07:00:59 PM by Etrike »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 12:07:58 PM »
A poor connection will typically fail more when higher current is trying to pass through it (when load is applied to the motor) .

If the voltage drop was due to an excessive load from a faulty motor or controller, then the current would read very high on the Wattmeter, but I did not notice any high current being drawn when the fault condition was active in the video.

What is the maximum current recorded on the wattmeter when the battery is turned on with the fault active?

As you cannot see low voltage electricity, you will need to use a voltmeter to locate the point at which the voltage drops from 50V to 40V (while the fault is active).
Simply start at the battery output wires and measure the voltage as you work towards the wattmeter.

If you only have 40V or less at the battery output wires, then the fault is somewhere within the battery or the battery holder unit.

If you place the meter probes across the switch connection (while the fault is active) you would be able to measure at least 10V if poor switch contacts were causing the fault.

I would suspect the battery or bms, have you tried another battery?

I am convinced it is a poor physical connection rather than a failed electronic component.
The BMS is comprised of solid state components, which are not usually affected by physical movement unless there is a poor soldered joint between a component (or wire) and the BMS circuit board, as the fault was definitely affected when the trike was jarred.

If the fault is on the battery side, I think it is more likely to be the key switch contacts within the battery holder, or poor contacts in the connector between the battery and the holder where the two items separate each time the battery is physically removed.

Alan

Offline Etrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 07:29:50 PM »
Once again Alan is the master!!!  He know his stuff. To answer his questions. There was less than 1 amp while in the fault condition.

It's always the last place you look.. so I got around taking the battery holder apart. First glance. Looks just how I left it, but I tore into all the heat shrink... and I find a loose connection

I'll be back after I get a new soldering iron...

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2016, 12:33:24 AM »
It's good to see you have located the fault, hopefully it will soon be working properly again when a good soldered joint has been made.

It would also be sensible to check the other soldered joint on the negative wire while you have access to it, or you could end up with a repeat of the original fault if that connection is as badly soldered as the positive one was.  ;)

Alan

Offline Etrike

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2016, 03:53:18 AM »
Well, I soldered both connections.  I did the positive first and tested it. Still got the fault. I was wiggling the connection and assumed as it was happening still on the negative, but after tearing the heat shrink back on the negative it looked fine, but I redid the connection anyway.

Well I still have the issues, but I'm sure it's in connectors themselves. I now believe the female connector to be the issue.... after redoing the connector, I can recreate it by wiggling the connectors

Does any one know where I can get the connectors for the dolphin style batteries?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 04:19:14 AM by Etrike »