Author Topic: Bike Friday electric conversion  (Read 18121 times)

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
Re: Bike Friday electric conversion
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2007, 09:43:01 PM »
...I know it would be tough to explain to a bus driver but SLA or AGM lead acid batteries are the one kind of lead acid that it is okay to ship or carry around because they don't present a leakage problem.

Its not only difficult, but impossible!  >:( That is the rule the operators and dispatch are programmed to follow!  ??? I sent the transit cops a note explaining the difference between an SLA/AGM and a standard motorcycle battery you buy from the auto parts store with the plastic sack filled with acid that you have to transfer to the battery cells and how SLA/AGM technology was developed specifically to eliminate the possibility of spills and how it was designed for wheelchairs and ebike and other public contact uses, so long as the terminals are not exposed.  :P They thanked me for the info but said the rule still applies.  :'(
« Last Edit: August 14, 2007, 03:17:51 AM by myelectricbike »

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2007, 10:18:16 PM »
  That's part of the buericratic BULLstuff. Once a ruling is made, it is nearly impossible to change it period!! ;D

dray

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2007, 11:26:03 PM »
Im 240lbs and those front forks along wiht te batteries looks a bit scary!

Offline OneEye

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 11:41:29 PM »
According to their website, "stock" bike friday frames are set up for 200lbs.  They custom build most of their frames, so they may be built to accommodate higher weights.

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #19 on: August 14, 2007, 01:09:45 AM »
Today I did 18.62 miles and the voltage was down to fluctuating between 35 and 34 volts and the speed was 14 to 15 mph. I do peddle along most of the time but not with too much pressure. I need the exercise because I weigh a little more than 240. So far the bike hasn't broke in half from too much weight. I don't recommend using a Bike Friday for an electric conversion, it is just one of the bikes that I had in the garage that I thought would make a good first electric conversion project. Bike Fridays are made here in Eugene, one of these days I am going to ride by and let them take a look at it to see what they think.

I have a recumbent which will be my second project. I am still ordering parts for that one.

Offline myelectricbike

• PhD. Magic
    • How to Build an Electric Bike
« Reply #20 on: August 14, 2007, 03:19:38 AM »
Have you decided on a trike or on an etadpole?

Offline mustangman

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #21 on: August 14, 2007, 05:25:55 AM »
  As older I get, that high performance trike gets looking better all the time!  ;D

Offline Dalecv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2007, 03:21:16 PM »
Neither, I have a recumbent BikeE, AT model, that I am electrifying. More info on the BikeE at http://www.simplecom.net/poleary/ Like the Bike Friday the BikeE was made in Oregon, Corvallis, but unfortunately they are no longer in business.

When I get done I guess it will be an E BikeE.

Offline jenelyn18

« Reply #23 on: July 01, 2009, 03:40:20 AM »
Almost any vehicle can be converted to electric. Many people prefer to pick a vehicle that is light and aerodynamic in order to maximize distance traveled per battery charge. There must also be adequate room and load capacity for batteries.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2009, 03:59:58 PM by jenelyn18 »