Author Topic: New Feature of Golden Motor Cruise Controller  (Read 19783 times)

Offline Gregte

• Confirmed
Re: New Feature of Golden Motor Cruise Controller
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2009, 07:55:49 PM »
I´m planning to add a booster pack to my GMlipo 36v10ah. I plan to use 12 D NiMh 10ah, 8S4P
If I use the packs in series, I suppose I need a diode to protect the LIPO BMS
How to wire this??
My motor is 36V 750W whith 36V 50A magic controller
Thanks
I just tried a similar setup. I used ten 12Ah NiMH D-cells wired in series for 12 volts to put in series with my 36v 16Ah LiMn battery. It worked great for about 8 miles then heated up and destroyed the NiMH cells. The LiMn battery is completely unharmed.

No diode is needed for the 36v battery. It and its BMS are not seeing any change in voltage. It still has the same voltage from its positive to negative terminals.

Offline alfio

« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2009, 05:20:34 PM »
Hi Gregte
Do you Know what happens?? Maybe thin wires? What´s your suggestion??
Thanks

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2009, 07:27:38 PM »
The way I understand it, the discharge current rating on
LiFePO4 batteries is something around 30C (30 times the capacity
of the cells) while Nickel Metal Hydride cells are closer to 5C.
This is from a single source here:
https://endless-sphere.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1773

That means if you're using a 10AH LiFePO4 pack, and want to
series a NiMH pack, you would need to use a 30AH pack to handle
the same currents.

Offline Gregte

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 07:52:21 PM »
I believe e-lmer has answered what happened to my setup. My LiMn battery was 36v 16Ah and my NiMH battery was 12v 12Ah. Too much current passed thru the NiMH pack.

As an extreme example, for the sake of understanding what happened, thus making it easer to see, imagine putting a D-cell in series with your car's lead acid battery and then try starting your car. The D-cell would get extremely hot. It would be acting like a resistor in series with a high current source (car battery) connected to a high current load (car starter motor).

Offline Little-Acorn

« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2009, 06:33:02 PM »
Gregte, sounds to me like it wasn't too-high current that destroyed your NiMH cells. They did fine for the first 30 minutes, despite high current.

But then they ran out of power - they had exhausted the 12Ah they had available, while the 16Ah Lithium cells still had more power to give. The lithium cells kept pumping current through the DEAD NiMH cells, which is an EXTREMELY bad thing to do to any rechargeable cell.

When any cell discharges, it puts out current from the + terminal and takes it back in through the - terminal. When you charge the cell, you force current the opposite way - pushing current into the + terminal and getting it back out through the - terminal. Those are normal modes of operation, and will not hurt the cell.

When a cell is completely exhausted, it won't push any current anywhere, of course. But you can charge it by using an external device (battery charger) to push current into the + terminal, as I said, and you won't harm it. You'll just charge it.

But if you have a completely exhausted cell, and try to push current into the - terminal, you will ruin it VERY quickly, like in seconds. And that's what your lithium cells did to your NiMH cells.

That's why it's so important to "balance" your battery. A battery is made up of a number of individual cells. And there are always slight differences between cells - they are never exactly identical. If one of them gets exhausted before the others go dead, the others will keep pumping current through the exhausted cell, the wrong way... and wreck it almost instantly.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2009, 06:36:54 PM by Little-Acorn »

Offline dutchcyclingman

« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2009, 09:23:17 PM »
today I have  conected a 12 v drycell battery in series with the lipo 36 v pack and went driving with it

abaut 12 km\h more speed  [53 km\h] and regenerative  braking is working a lot better

before it was like dropping an anker and at speed above 30 braking go's on and of 

i have drive for abaut 10 min and controller temp was about 30 degree and motor 25 degree
before always cold

i think you can safe ad about 2 extra cels [6.6v]

wat wil happen if you not use the speed and go for more miliage

i have a 36v 750w frontwheel

can GM  deliver the batteries  needed ???
750w frontwheel
     its illegal 
 but its fun to ride

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2009, 03:21:48 PM »
While it is possible to hook mixed chemistry batteries together,
it is not a good idea.

At best you can damage your battery pack, and at worst you can
have the LiPO pack catch fire.  They can be quite spectacular when
the do.

Ok, LiFePO4 batteries don't explode, but other lithium chemistry can.

Offline Harvey_Mushman

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2010, 10:44:04 AM »
LiMn ..the other non-explosive white meat   ;)