Author Topic: New Feature of Golden Motor Cruise Controller  (Read 19780 times)

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
New Feature of Golden Motor Cruise Controller
« on: June 23, 2009, 08:33:21 AM »
Dear Forum Members,

Our Cruise Controllers are able to withstand voltages higher than its rated voltage up to 60V DC.
For example:

24V Controller is able to work with voltages ranging from 24V~60V DC.
36V Controller is able to work with voltages ranging from 36V~60V DC.

The message is this :
If you want more speed and power, just simply use our higher voltage Battery Pack on any of these controllers.
For example:

Connect a 24V Controller to a 36V Battery, your motor will run faster and feels more powerful than one connected to a 24V Battery.

Disadvantage :
If you use this method to get more speed, the low voltage protection in the controller will not detect the battery's low voltage, however, if you are using our GoldenMotor Lithium Ion battery packs, the built-in BMS in the battery pack will automatically protect the battery from a low voltage situation. This means, GoldenMotor controllers + GoldenMotor Batteries = Double Protection... For the win!

N.B. Why we recommend you to use our GoldenMotor batteries. This is because, our Magic Pie's built in 24V controllers can handle multiple voltages and our Batteries can still manage the low voltage protection.

Best Regards,
GoldenMotor Technical Team

stl_recum

Re: New Feature of Golden Motor Cruise Controller
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2009, 01:29:36 PM »
Is this a feature of the design of all your cruise controllers or is it a recent change.

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2009, 02:18:42 AM »
Is this a feature of the design of all your cruise controllers or is it a recent change.

I would like to know this too

Offline GoldenMotor

• GoldenMotor
  • Emperor
  • PhD. Magic
  • Dark Templar
    • GoldenMotor Youtube
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2009, 05:09:49 AM »
It was a hidden feature, until we figured it out, so it's more of a hey-it-can-work-this-way-too kind of thing rather than a buy-this-new-feature-controller-from-us kind of thing. We're just saying that if you have GM batteries, then this feature is very safe to use.

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 06:07:04 PM »
Will the controller work with no hall sensors attached?

Will the motor reach top speed like normal?

Will the only detriment be that you have to pedal first to get the motor moving?

Offline TheKid

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 03:07:04 AM »
I have the GM 36v cruise controller and the GM 36v 12ah lithium battery, with a non GM motor that will run at 48v. I could use the battery I have now on another trike. So if I buy the 48v lithium battery, and a 48v throttle, will that increase my power? It would be nice if it did. I was going to get another 36v lithium for my other trike, because with the lithium battery, it runs faster with the 20lb. lighter battery.

Offline Hyena

• Confirmed
  • E-bike maniac
    • Hyena Industries: performance ebikes
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 11:58:34 AM »
More voltage = more speed.
You don't need a new throttle unless yours has LEDs in it, in which case the higher voltage would probably blow them (but it'd still work as a throttle ok)

Offline kostelacj

« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2009, 04:10:46 PM »
How much faster would a GM 36V 750 motor run on 48 Volts?

Offline TheKid

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 07:58:12 PM »
You don't need a new throttle unless yours has LEDs in it, in which case the higher voltage would probably blow them (but it'd still work as a throttle ok)

I prefer to use the battery meter, so that's why I'd get a new throttle. I have several with no meters that I don't use anymore.

I know there'd be more speed, but will the torque increase? Sometimes it doesn't. For instance, I have a 24v 450w motor that I run at 36v. The speed increased, but climbing hills still requires the same amount of human power as it did at 24v.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 08:02:17 PM by TheKid »

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2009, 01:03:00 PM »
It was a hidden feature, until we figured it out, so it's more of a hey-it-can-work-this-way-too kind of thing rather than a buy-this-new-feature-controller-from-us kind of thing. We're just saying that if you have GM batteries, then this feature is very safe to use.

I guess you can thank me for that. :)

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2009, 01:13:27 PM »

Wouldn't the LEDs on the throttles that were sent with the magic controllers be unaffected?   I thought that they were set by the controller at ~5v and was changed by the controller to reflect (lets say for the 24v controller) how much of the 24v was left?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »

Wouldn't the LEDs on the throttles that were sent with the magic controllers be unaffected?   I thought that they were set by the controller at ~5v and was changed by the controller to reflect (lets say for the 24v controller) how much of the 24v was left?

The LEDs on the throttles supplied with the magic controllers will be affected if a higher voltage battery is fitted.

The throttle sensor connects to the 0~5v connections on the controller, but the LED battery meter has a wire which connects to the positive side of the battery so it can directly monitor the battery's voltage.
The LED meters are preset for one specific battery voltage and are usually marked accordingly on the body of the throttle.

36v ^

If a throttle unit rated at 24v is connected to a 36v or 48v battery then the battery meter side of it will probably die as soon as battery power is switched on.

The 24v/36v/48v speed controllers may be able to cope with 60v, but the battery meter LED circuit in a 24v/36v throttle unit may not!

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2009, 10:47:29 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Hyena

• Confirmed
  • E-bike maniac
    • Hyena Industries: performance ebikes
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2009, 11:53:27 AM »
Yep, unless you're running the voltage the throttle is rated at (and even then there'll be a difference between SLA and lithium packs) it won't work. You could possibly pull the throttle apart and add a resistor to drop the voltage down, but there may be more to it than that and its arguably not worth the effort.
If want to keep a better eye on your voltage a cheap voltmeter would be the way to go, or if you've got more to spend something like a wattsup meter or cycle analyst will give you a good indication of how much juice you've eaten up.

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2009, 12:38:24 AM »
I've been using the 24v magic controller on 36v for over 400 miles now and it works AWESOME.

I'm still using the 24v LED throttle and it didn't blow the LEDs, so i'm good with that.

I'm using the 250w 24v mini motor with the 24v controller and a 36v battery.

Speed before adding 36v - 16.5 mph.

Speed after changing from 24 to 36v = 21.2 mph

Offline alfio

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2009, 08:30:35 PM »
I´m planning to add a booster pack to my GMlipo 36v10ah. I plan to use 12 D NiMh 10ah, 8S4P
If I use the packs in series, I suppose I need a diode to protect the LIPO BMS
How to wire this??
My motor is 36V 750W whith 36V 50A magic controller
Thanks