Author Topic: Really having great difficulty with VEC500  (Read 1360 times)

Offline Liamborghini5

• Confirmed
Really having great difficulty with VEC500
« on: July 03, 2021, 01:28:33 PM »
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum but I probably should have made this a while ago.

I'm having a great deal of difficulty to get my VEC500 controller to work. I've got it hooked up to the battery but the E lock wires seem to control the operation of the controller which is fine and understandable, but where do the TWO elock wires go to when I'm not using a switch? Do I just short it and put it both on B+? The wiring diagram isn't very helpful regarding this.

Any help would be appreciated

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Really having great difficulty with VEC500
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2021, 01:40:10 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

You could bypass the e-lock by simply connecting the e-lock lead directly to the Battery + terminal on the controller.
However, if you do decide to bypass the switch to constantly operate the e-lock function, the controller will be continually activated, drawing a higher residual current while it is physically connected to the battery.
You would have to physically connect the battery prior to use, and then disconnected it after use to prevent the battery from being slowly discharged over time.

Parking the vehicle with the motor system constantly active could also prove to be very dangerous if someone accidentally operated the throttle.  :o

Continually connecting and disconnecting the controller to and from battery each time the vehicle is used would also put more strain on the controller's capacitors unless a suitable precharge method is used each time the battery is reconnected.

My advice would be to install a switch of some sort (A key switch, an emergency stop switch or even a simple hidden or obvious On/Off switch) on the e-lock circuit, primarily for safety, but also for controller and battery longevity.

Alan

Offline Liamborghini5

• Confirmed
Re: Really having great difficulty with VEC500
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2021, 05:43:46 PM »
Hi Bikemad,

Thank you for the reply but I have connected the elock to B+ and still have no working controller, I did have it working when connected from B+ and the other elock cable to B-. However I'm scared that it will short the controller.

Will try again though.