Author Topic: Power cuts out on GM 48 volt 1000 watt - Help  (Read 13949 times)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Power cuts out on GM 48 volt 1000 watt - Help
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2011, 12:40:49 AM »
gary my 48 volts 12 amp bike I turn the key on full power I give it full throtel its dies full charge 53.8 is that right or one of my batters no good I know it not key switch I pick up the rear of the bike give it full throdel its works fine

Read this thread, it either a bad connection, bad keyswitch or cells are falling in the battery.

Gary

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2011, 12:42:28 AM »
Hi everyone. I'm facing the same problem. Just assembled the kit (with 9 speed gearing after CNC machine the drive side plate, I've already posted on it! http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=3650.msg21698#msg21698) and runned about 6 kilometres (mostly flat land)
I already tried to figure it out in many different ways. On fun throttle power dies. If it is gradual it keeps running but not for too long, just if it's running slow (using the cruise control).
In the beginning I thought it was because of high temperature but let it get cooler but problem remains.
In fact I'm facing problems with key switch also...
Any suggestion?

I would definitely suggest bypassing the keyswitch if it is giving you trouble already. That would most likely solve the problem.

Gary
« Last Edit: November 01, 2011, 01:45:49 PM by spellchecker »

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2011, 04:02:30 PM »
Hi Gary.
Thanks for the suggestion and as long as I made a mod to the motor to fit 9 speed freewheel with 135mm I'll try by my own to bypass the keyswitch.
The thing is if goldenmotor do not create any quality assurance method in their products they'll got a lot of bad remarks to their products (as they've already have).
We all know their products are cheap but customers not like myself (I like to solve the problems by my own) will start to escape from them as long as they don't simply work fine.
I've to remember you that these were the first 6km of the whole system and know I've to open the battery that has a seal that if is broken this got out of warranty.

Thanks again and asap I'll tell you if corrections got ok.

Rui

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2011, 11:48:18 AM »
Hi again.
I've made the bypass to the keyswitch and the problem continues.
After it as I don't have a multimeter to check voltage I plugged the battery to the charger and It seemed completely uncharged (both charger leds were red) despite all three leds of the twist acelerator got on when I plug the cables (as now I don't have keyswitch).
Does the controller cuts when the voltage is below a certain limit?
After the battery is full I'll try again to connect all the system and then reply you.

Thanks,

Rui Santos

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2011, 09:58:37 PM »
Hi everyone. It's getting bad.  >:(
After the battery is suposedly full of charge (green light of the charger) there's no voltage in the battery terminals using the multimeter!
I'll disassemble all the battery including the side of BMS to check if there's any bad wiring connection. Then give you news
I'm starting to question the value of the most expensive part in the whole kit, the battery, a LifePo4
I'm designing a new enclosure for use of 4 SLA batteries with 12V 12Ah.
I know all the limitations of that kind of batteries but at least I know they're tested and certified.
Then I'm considering to go to BMZ for LiFePo4 batteries as they're the suppliers for Smart eBikes (Mercedes-Benz).
I've to tell you that the quality of the GM batteries is far from acceptable.

Thanks,

Rui Santos

Offline Pwd

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #20 on: November 02, 2011, 02:34:11 AM »
No voltage at all? Sounds like something is completely disconnected. You should be getting *some* voltage...

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2011, 02:16:23 AM »
I have to agree with Paul. The voltage at the charge port and the voltage at the front of the battery should be the same.

Gary

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 11:19:03 PM »
Ok! Sorry sorry sorry.
The 8 Pin connection was not completely connected. If becomes loose easily (I've fixed it forcing them to get together with some special sheetmetal parts) so any vibration will turn it off.
Also regarding to battery one of the plastic plugs was broken so I've disassembled everything then assembled and now everything is running very fine.
I've made some tests with full power during 15 min and not a single fail.
Sorry again and tanks for the support.

Offline roger j berube

• Confirmed
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 02:35:03 PM »
i cut wires on key switch hook it up direct power on used throddle its dies un plug hub plug back in full power peddle bike its dies I am not to happy with mr Magic Pie 48 v some one have answer for me

Offline dofbikes

• Confirmed
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2012, 03:04:20 PM »
Hi berube.
It seems that you are having the same "dealema" as me.
After many "plug and dies" if you did not take care the hall sensor of twist accelerator will burn (http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4121.msg23978#msg23978)
Then you'll buy another one and fix it.
Then you'll run again and it will die again, but not just after you need to wait some minutes.

http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4141.msg24005#msg24005
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4141.msg24187#msg24187

Then you'll check the battery and when it's full charge it seems ok but in fact some cells died (LVC, low voltage cut).
Then you ask yourself, wtf?!  :o
Then you consider to buy a new batt and maybe your batt is LiMn and you thought it's LiFePo.
Then you got messed with all of this...
Then you ask for GoldenMotor to replace bad cells and they told you that the only thing they can do is a discount on a new batt...
Then you got stuck and feel cheated! "GoldenMotor you can't beat this feeling".
That's the way it was and probably still is...

Kind Regards,

Rui

Offline roger j berube

• Confirmed
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2012, 07:08:24 PM »
i have the same problem I check my battery at full charge 55.4 or54.5v that good but pull the battery case apart
 and check the amps on each battery or three togeather they should read the same if not you have some battery whith bad cells
or check v on three or one they should be the same