Author Topic: Desperate help needed with motor/controller  (Read 10463 times)

Offline aawaterloo

• Confirmed
Desperate help needed with motor/controller
« on: June 24, 2011, 01:34:40 AM »
I have an ebike which basically doesn't work.  I have checked the battery and it seems to be working.  The charger also charges the battery fine.  I believe the problem is with the controller or the brushless hub motor.

After turning the power on, when I open the throttle, the bike doesn't run.  The motor doesn't even attempt to turn.

I checked the throttle and it seems to be working.  The trottle has a hall sensor which is getting 5.1V from the controller.  The signal wire in the throttle spits out 0.9V at no throttle to around 4.3 volts at wide open.  This tells me the throttle is fine.

The motor has three high voltage wires and five low voltage wire.  The low voltage wire are for three hall sensors inside the motor.  The power wire for hall sensor is getting 5.1 volts from the controller.  The three hall sensor signal wires are kind of acting up.  Two of them don't send any signal back to the controller as slowly spin the wheel.  The third signal wire sends a weak signal (ranges from 0.05v to 0.3volts) as I slowly spin the wheel.  The sensor seems to be the culprits but I want a second opinion.

The three HV wires are getting 36 volts from the controller (the battery is 36V) with respect to the hall sensor ground wire.  When I disconnect the wires from the controller, I can spin the wheel freely manually.  When any of two of the three HV wire touch each other (with power disconnected) the motor is hard to spin.
The resistance on the HV wire with respect to each other is 0.2 ohms for every combination. This tells me the windings are fine.
I don't know the brand of the motor.  There is no marking on the motor.
Two hall sensors have marking "40A 440" on them.  The middle sensor is probably upside down.  The sensors are epoxied in the motor laminations.

The controller could also be a culprit but I am not sure again.  It is spitting out all the appropriate voltages.  Lights and horn are working.  When brake levers are presses, the back lights go on.  Both lights and horn are getting 38 volts from the controller. 

The controller brand is Ananda Drive. 

If you suggest I should change the hall sensors on the motor, I am not sure which ones to buy as I don't know the brand name.  Also I don't know if they are unipolar or bipolar. 

Thanks for ready my post.  Help is appreciated. 

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Desperate help needed with motor/controller
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2011, 01:57:08 AM »
Hi andto the forum.

It sounds as if your controller does not have a sensorless mode and therefore cannot run with failed hall sensors.

I would replace the hall sensors first and see if the problem is cured, if it does not cure it, then it might be simpler to purchase a sensorless controller to replace your existing one.

The Honeywell SS41 hall sensors should work fine in your motor.

Check out this post for more information on checking and replacing hall sensors.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 06:13:50 PM by Bikemad »

Offline aawaterloo

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2011, 02:41:41 AM »
Alan, Thanks for the suggestion. Hall sensors are on order. I will post the progress in a few days.

Offline aawaterloo

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 06:05:47 PM »
I got the hall effect sensors SS41.  I soldered wire leads to them and tried to check their functionality by bring them close to the motor magnets (While supplying 5 volts to the sensor).  The voltage on the sense lead doesn't move.  It consistently shows a very small voltage (in the range of 0.004 but fluctuates a bit) on four sensors.  Have I damaged the sensors while soldering leads to them or is it normal and I should go ahead and epoxy them in the motor. 

Offline aawaterloo

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 04:02:13 PM »
I am going to go for the sensor-less controller.  Any suggestions?
Again the specs are
Battery 36 Volts
Motor: Brushless (3 phase)
hall effect throttle (5 volts)
Accessories (horn, front light, rear lights)
Front and rear disk brakes 

Offline cgmohsin

• Confirmed
Hall sensor problem plz help
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2011, 04:46:15 AM »
Hi Friends,
I am new to this forum, after long search one of my friend suggested me tat my problem can solve only in GOLDEN MOTOR,
so plz help me

i have problem with my 48v 500w motor its vibrates and wires goes hot while acceleration, after some discussion someone said me its  sensor problem,
i opened the motor and found the sensor, its with 3 pin the name printed on it is 41F 908,
but unfortunately m not getting the part here in market  :(
can any one plz help me out for this or any alternative solution plzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

If you haven't actually tested the hall sensors to see if they are working, I suggest you do so first.
Take a look at this post and this video for more details on testing the operation of the hall sensors.
Please note that if it's a geared motor (like the GM minimotors), it will need to be turned very slowly in a reverse direction when checking for variation of the hall sensors' signal voltage.

If it is a faulty sensor, the Honeywell ss41 hall sensor is commonly used as a replacement and can be purchased from most electrical component suppliers, but if you can't find them at your local supplier, check out this post on ES regarding purchasing hall sensors.

I think it would also be worth checking that your motor wires are all correctly connected and have not been accidentally swapped. check out this post for further details on the possible configuration of the phase and sensor wires.

I hope this helps.

Alan

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2011, 03:37:27 PM »
hI CGMOHSIN

Hot phase wires during acceleration indicate to me that the coloured wires are the wrong way round, or both phase and halls are wrong...

If correct, if you lift the wheeel and accelerate, the motor should pull very little amps, but will pull a lot of amps for no reason

Try to change the wires going into the connector...start by swapping the yellow and blue hall sensor wires, see if that helps

regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline aawaterloo

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2012, 08:11:06 PM »
Any suggestions on where to buy a sensorless controller.
Specs.
36V (three phase)
5V hall effect throttle

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2012, 09:42:58 PM »
lyen@hotmail.com

he sells an infineon sensorless controller....i purchased a 48V which runs perfect ( look after her andrew :) ), but he can tell you whether a 36V is possible

regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2012, 04:42:34 AM »
Castle creations sells a sensorless controller that will handle up to 96 volts.