Author Topic: Just new project started  (Read 8957 times)

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
Just new project started
« on: March 31, 2011, 01:37:47 AM »
Well just to let you know that I have started my project, I mean the part that I have to cut, glue, screw, measure, test, etc... because it has been quite a lot of thinking and investigation before this.

My kids looks that are interested and want to cooperate (hope their excitation lasts) and we started a blog of the work, you are invited and really welcome to visit it here: http://chomon-ev.blogspot.com/ not much info yet but it is just a start.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:35:38 PM by spellchecker »

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
Re: Just new project started
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 12:43:07 AM »
Just to update, it is going slow but going...

Starts to look like a crazy plumber project.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2011, 12:52:43 AM »
That does look Fun! Do you have a plan or is it a design as you go project? I know if I was doing that I would change my mind constantly trying to improve the design and never get it done :)

Gary
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 12:54:58 AM by GM Canada »

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2011, 01:04:52 AM »
Gary, That is the project for the motors I want to order from you...

Well there is not a drawn plan actually it is in my mind and on pieces of papers.. as well it is an on going design as you say and may change mind and try to improve it, but I am now making version 1.0 obviously can be improved.

I am trying to make a plan/manual so it can be downloaded by anyone and built the same or modified if like they want.

You can see more pictures and info at the construction blog: http://chomon-ev.blogspot.com/

Any advice welcome.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:34:26 PM by spellchecker »

Offline Andrew

• AKA The Artful Bodger
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • I'm here to learn.
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2011, 06:26:00 AM »
Now that is "Professional!"  fantasic project, a great bit of engineering :)

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2011, 08:58:48 AM »
 ;D If you could look closer you will notice that the finishing is not so nice as it looks in the pictures, anyway a hand of black paint will cover those imperfections  ;D ;D
Anyway thank you for your words.

Well it is quite interesting from the engineering point of view because I am doing it only with standard tools and materials. And I have to develop pieces easy to make and even some manufacturing simple ways, so it can be replicated in any small home garage. For example the way I am cutting and bending some pieces, see pictures:

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:32:12 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2011, 11:07:34 AM »
What is the overall plan? it looks like you are creating a 4 wheeler?

Gary
« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:30:22 PM by spellchecker »

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2011, 11:55:07 AM »
Yes, 4 wheels, two seat vehicle powered by pedal and electric motors so basically will be a Velomobile or pedal car for 2 persons and some cargo, electrically assisted, fully enclosed in order to keep occupants dry and warm (probably we install heater/s)

Two electric wheel motors at the front wheels, human power to the rear wheels (4x4  :o )
Very simple suspension just to reduce vibrations and make ride nicer.
72V 40Ah to 60AH battery
Kelly controllers or similar
Bicycle hydraulic brakes
Steering with a central handle bar
The "car" will be driven only with one hand
May be music, mp3 player or similar  :D
Heater/s for the winter, probably modified hair drier/s
Led lights
Well as you see quite simple  ;D

About the exterior I want it to look like the first picture, but probably will end like the second one...  :-\

« Last Edit: April 30, 2011, 03:29:18 PM by spellchecker »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2011, 04:21:32 PM »
I'd rather have the one in the bottom picture!

Gary

Offline Sangesf

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2011, 10:02:57 PM »
Yes, 4 wheels, two seat vehicle powered by pedal and electric motors so basically will be a Velomobile or pedal car for 2 persons and some cargo, electrically assisted, fully enclosed in order to keep occupants dry and warm (probably we install heater/s)

Two electric wheel motors at the front wheels, human power to the rear wheels (4x4  :o )
Very simple suspension just to reduce vibrations and make ride nicer.
72V 40Ah to 60AH battery
Kelly controllers or similar
Bicycle hydraulic brakes
Steering with a central handle bar
The "car" will be driven only with one hand
May be music, mp3 player or similar  :D
Heater/s for the winter, probably modified hair drier/s
Led lights
Well as you see quite simple  ;D

About the exterior I want it to look like the first picture, but probably will end like the second one...  :-\

You do know, that you prolly wouldn't be able to ride it on the road, right?
Unless, of course, you go through alot of red beauratic tape

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2011, 12:00:03 AM »
I live in Spain, and there is a lot of rules for cars that make almost impossible to make a transformation to electric.
But there is not many rules for bikes or veleomoviles so I decided to go that way. Hope I do not have problems...

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2011, 11:38:26 PM »
I live in Spain, and there is a lot of rules for cars that make almost impossible to make a transformation to electric.
But there is not many rules for bikes or veleomoviles so I decided to go that way. Hope I do not have problems...

In Canada its a bike if it's 1, 2 or 3 wheels, once you add a forth wheel its no longer a bicycle.

Gary

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2011, 11:59:28 PM »
Well chassis moke up is more less finished, well actually will be during this week.
So I hve to start thinking and ordering bicicle staff, like pedals, chain, rings, etc...
On this I am a bit lost, and do not know eacttly what to use  :-\

For gear box I was planing to use this: http://www.fallbrooktech.com/NuVinci.asp
Have any one try that?
Any other suggestions?

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 10:01:35 PM »

For gear box I was planing to use this: http://www.fallbrooktech.com/NuVinci.asp
Have any one try that?
Any other suggestions?

good explanation on how they work here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Smijjy832X0

however if you're going to be running at 72v (which will be ~50kph?) then you need to make sure you can use the nuvinci it at such a high speed - without pedaling air.

Offline _GonZo_

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • www.evovelo.com
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2011, 10:39:46 PM »
Thank you Magzy, I know more less how it works, I just wanted to know if it is reliable and if other users are happy with it, for what I have read on other places it is tough as nails, a bit heavy but good for the money.

For the moment I decided not to use it (may be I add it latter) because two reasons, price and simplicity.
I am going to install just 3 plates on the vehicle, and will see how it goes.

There is a small bicicle shop nearby and I pop in there for ideas and help, they guy on charge, an Argentinean, has been very helpful and with his help we have more lees fixed up all the chain, gears, pedal and other staff, and he will be helping me to make it run properly. May be it will be more expensive than buy it throw internet but the help of a professional is priceless.

however if you're going to be running at 72v (which will be ~50kph?) then you need to make sure you can use the nuvinci it at such a high speed - without pedaling air.

You are right at taht speed I will be not pedaling  ;D
I do not know the maximum speed I will be getting with 20" wheels and 72V but should be around that.
Anyway most of the area were it is going to be driven is limited to 30-40 Km/h and plenty of traffic lights and crosses so there will be little high speed...  :(