Author Topic: anyone ever change their SP4 controller themselves?  (Read 2914 times)

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
anyone ever change their SP4 controller themselves?
« on: May 25, 2015, 01:27:55 PM »
My SP4 isn't working, I have to wait to get home to try a few things Gary suggested but odds are good the controller is dead. It's still under warranty, I've only had it a week, but warranties take time and that's my problem.

I work odd hours, I don't drive and there is no public transit in the morning when I leave home. I can't pedal to work anymore, it's mostly uphill and living in Nfld means there is a 40km/hr headwind pretty much every day. So I taxi. $120 a week in taxis. I can buy a new controller for $87.50 and ship it overnight for $40, that's about what I'd spend in taxis for a week and I'm sure the warranty process will take longer plus there are shipping costs with that too.

So how hard is it to swap the controller? Can I do this myself? I'm pretty handy with a soldering iron, I've built numerous guitar pedals and other simple projects as a hobby. Would I be able to do this myself?

Offline Ron

• Confirmed
Re: anyone ever change their SP4 controller themselves?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2015, 04:03:07 PM »
I've done a MP4 controller and didn't have any issues.  Here is a MP3 controller swap video by GM Canada: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ofXCj_Dd10U

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2015, 05:41:45 PM »
Looking at the pics it looks like no soldering is needed. A couple of ring terminals and that white connector. I will have to ask Gary.

Offline Mikalow

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 11:25:58 PM »
I have Changed mine
Just make a note of where the colored wires go in side
just have to remove a few screws and it should come open with a little jiggling
the just unscrew the wires and take old one out put new one in (make note of wire colors and what screw they go with)

Offline Thuktun

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2015, 05:12:11 PM »
I did it, no problems, works again now. Did you do anything to seal yours? There was a flexible glue of sorts in there, I assume for water proofing. I'm thinking I need to open it up a crack again to put some silicone or something along the edge, we get a LOT of rain here.