Author Topic: Magic Pie v Smart Pie  (Read 1814 times)

Offline Blooper

• Confirmed
Magic Pie v Smart Pie
« on: October 13, 2020, 08:58:59 PM »
how do I tell if I have a Magic Pie 4 rear wheel or Smart Pie rear wheel I was told when I bought the bike it was 500 watt but need to know if either magic 4 or smart  as wanting a bluetooth to reprograme it as where there programming cable (10 pin ) connects has had water inrusion and I have rewired with new plugs ,and also does the bluetooth connect to the same connector as programming cable does or where bac 601 display connects

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie v Smart Pie
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 11:25:35 PM »
You can tell whether it is a Magic Pie or a Smart Pie by its size:

The Magic Pie (top photo) is much bigger than the Smart Pie (lower photo).

The middle photo shows the Magic Pie Edge, which is sized between the Magic Pie and Smart Pie. All three motors shown above are installed in the same size 26" rim, but the Magic Pie Edge shown is a front motor.

Unfortunately, you can't tell by looking whether they are versions 3, 4, or 5.

If you programmed yours with a 10 pin cable it will be version 3 (much noisier under load with non-vector controller).

Version 4 (MP4 and SP4) are much quieter because of their vector controllers.

Please note that the Bluetooth dongle is only compatible with version 5 of the vector controllers (MP5, SP5 and MP Edge).

The Bluetooth dongle, USB programming cable and the BAC-601 display units all connect to the same 5 pin connector coming from the controller harness (but only one at a time  ;))

Alan