Author Topic: Magic Pie 4 Programming/USB Cable Wiring Colors  (Read 2300 times)

Offline Tur-Bo

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 4 Programming/USB Cable Wiring Colors
« on: September 28, 2020, 05:21:34 PM »
Hello Everyone,

I am new to electric bikes and to the Magic Pie world.  I bought the bike with the MP 4 system already installed, so I do not have a ton of information on the build, but I am learning more about it every day.

When the bike started to cut out randomly last week, I determined that it needed a new battery based on research from all of your helpful posts.  I replaced the 48V battery with a 52V battery that was within specifications and it ran great.  However, the regen braking was not nearly as strong as it was before the battery swap and I wanted to adjust it with the programming software.  That led me to the 5 pin programming cable which was smashed and had 2 broken pins...

With a fair amount of minor wiring experience, I carefully sliced the rubber housing around the pins to take them out one by one hoping to salvage as much as possible.  Unfortunately, it did not work.  I decided the best repair would be to cut 5 pin plug off of the USB cable and solder the 5 wires from the programming cable directly to the 5 wires in the USB cable so that the USB plug would simply stay on the bike.  That was a great plan until I realized that the wires inside each cable are different colors!

The programming cable from the motor has black, brown, green, orange and white wires while the USB cable has red, blue, green, yellow and black wires.

When I dismantled the programming pin connector from the motor, I mistakenly did not keep track of the wire positions at the plug.  Otherwise, I could have figured it out from that.  I have searched the wiring diagrams extensively trying to find out how to match up these colors, but found nothing that could clue me in on which ones to solder together.

If anyone knows how to line up these colors, it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 4 Programming/USB Cable Wiring Colors
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2020, 11:17:01 AM »
Hi Tur-Bo andto the forum.

Sorry for the very late reply but I've only just come across this unanswered post.  :-[

Here are the connections on the MP4 wiring harness with the 5 pin programming connector shown on the lower left hand side:

I don't know what colour wires are used for each pin, and because you did not keep track of the wire positions at the plug it will be difficult to accurately determine the allocation of each colour wire, but the following picture may help you to identify the wires on the controller:

Pin 1 = Orange (Transmit)
Pin 2 = Possibly Black? This should be common with battery ground (check for continuity between battery - cable and remaining wires using multimeter to locate the ground wire)
Pin 3 = Brown (Receive)
Pin 4 = May not be used, but could possibly be White? (+5V) if it's a later controller.
Pin 5 = Possibly Red? (Battery +) (check for continuity between battery + cable and remaining wires using multimeter to locate the Battery + wire)
I don't suppose that pin 5 to be connected to the USB programming lead

But the wires on the programming cable could be a bit more difficult to identify. 

I don't know if this will help, but here are the colours and functions used on the earlier external USB programming leads:

But I suspect that your wires may not have all of these colours.  :-\

Alan