Author Topic: Throttle Button?  (Read 3947 times)

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
Throttle Button?
« on: July 02, 2020, 01:31:28 PM »
Can anyone explain what the button is for on the 36V push throttle? If I depress it, the horn sounds off like an alarm.  ???

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle Button?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2020, 08:02:09 PM »
Hi Ron andto the forum.

The GM thumb throttles for Magic/Smart Pies are usually wired as a lighting switch and simply switches full battery voltage to the Red Lighting feed wire on the unterminated wires of the Control Harness:

What horn do you have and what wires is it connected to? The battery voltage horn is powered by the Yellow Horn feed wire and grounded to the Blue Battery - (Horn Ground) wire as per the Unterminated wires on the Control Harness in the above diagram.

Alan

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2020, 08:48:59 PM »
I have the horn that came with my SPX Kit, a Little red disk horn. The horn is plugged into the controller on the A1 A2 quick connect. Not sure why it is causing the horn to sound like an alarm when I depress the throttle button, sounds like something is wired wrong. I am not familiar with the above image as I have the Smart Pie.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2020, 09:01:49 PM »
Actually, all I wanted to do was use this switch to enable /disable my pedal assist. Based on the fact that it supplies voltage it is not likely something I can do very easy?

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2020, 09:40:49 PM »
I rewired mine as a safety cut out switch for the throttle power, (changed input voltage from full battery voltage to 5vdc regulated controller power) so it is doable. No more accidently running over the toes.  ;D I'd keep current below 2 amps for it's use, but PAS would be no problem. You'd have to use the lighting wire unless adding extra wire run(s).

What version of the Smart Pie do you have?  Found this if it's any closer to your system...

Regards,
T.C.

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2020, 10:00:29 PM »
Ron, it sounds like you have an External controller, in which case, your wiring harness probably looks like this:

The throttle may have separate connectors for the throttle and the light switch like this:

The single green wire between the two connectors is for a battery supply to the LED battery gauge.

It sounds like the lighting switch from the throttle has been plugged into the horn connector on the controller wiring harness.
If this is the case, you should be able to unplug the light switch connector and repurpose it to enable/disable the pedal assist relatively easily.

Perhaps you can also reconnect the horn correctly (assuming you have fitted the horn/Cruise button unit).

Alan

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2020, 10:07:51 PM »
You are correct, thank you. My thumb throttle is a bit different and is for the 36v system. I will double check my connections but I was pretty careful to match the tags on the harness. So I think you are saying that I should be able to use the light harness to interrupt/switch the negative side of the pedal assist wire?

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2020, 10:16:14 PM »
I must have connected the horn wiring correctly because the horn does in fact work properly from the Horn/Cruise unit. If the throttle light button was connected to the horn harness, then how can my horn be working correctly from the horn button.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2020, 10:49:53 PM »
I suspect that the throttle switch (Lighting switch on internal controllers) has been utilised as a Reverse switch on the external controllers and is therefore connected to the Reverse connector on the controller.
The horn beeping is probably the Reverse "Sound" warning function which can be disabled using the USB programming lead and software:

Check if the bike go backwards when you apply the throttle with the throttle button pressed, as this will hopefully confirm my suspicions.
It might be advisable to unplug the horn first to protect your ear drums. ;)

If the two wires coming from the throttle switch are completely isolated from everything else inside the throttle (which they should be) you can simply use them to switch the +5V supply to the Pedelec sensor by cutting the Red PAS wire and connecting the two wires from the switch to the two cut ends of the Red PAS wire.

Alan

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2020, 11:31:35 PM »
Very good reply! I will check and perform those steps. Thanks very much. Too bad there are no basic instructions written for these. I would certainly want to take the time and write it up if I was the one selling them.  :)

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2020, 01:38:57 PM »
You were correct, the wheel went in reverse, which could have been a safety concern if I did not connect the horn and the button was accidentally pressed. A controller should not have reverse enable by default for just that reason.

With respect to the wiring, there quick connect does have two wires labelled reverse. I will try and see if this works and if so, it is a great feature to be able to turn pedal assist on and off.

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2020, 06:59:38 PM »
All done, the switch is now controlling the pedal assist like a charm. It is amazing after turning pedal assist to min and regen braking to max, it is better than I expected. Only problem is that it's my wifes bike!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2020, 08:38:22 PM »
Thanks for the update Ron, it's good to know it is working just as we had hoped.  8)

Presumably you have the pedal assist set to minimum so that you don't have to struggle quite so much to keep up with your wife until you get your own motor.  ;)

Alan

Offline Ron Burgundy

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2020, 04:19:22 AM »
LOL...LOL that was GOOD. I will have my bike up and running tomorrow as long as I can figure out how to install the brake cut sensor on my existing NON hydraulic brake levers??