Author Topic: Magic pie external controller kit dead on arrival  (Read 2665 times)

Offline Wdestler

• Confirmed
Magic pie external controller kit dead on arrival
« on: March 26, 2020, 11:17:34 PM »
I have assembled five other ebike kits including two from GM. 5 days ago I received the kit mentioned and have been unable to get the motor to run. I have tried nearly everything, but before I return the kit I am wondering if there's anything I have missed. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic pie external controller kit dead on arrival
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2020, 11:35:45 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Do all three of the LEDs lights on the throttle light up when the battery is turned on?

Do you have a horn connected to the controller and if so does it beep any error codes?

Which battery and controller do you have?

Try unplugging both brake connectors and see if it makes a difference.

Alan

Offline Wdestler

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 02:38:56 PM »
Thank you. I have tried all of these, to no avail. All 3 lights are on, the horn works but no error codes. Disconnecting brake switches does not help. Battery is 48V 20ah, New. Controller is the one that came with the kit.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 04:36:42 PM »
I presume that the controller you have looks like this:

In which case, it should still work on a 48V battery even if the controller was originally programmed for 24V or 36V (unlike the internal controllers).

See if the motor attempts to run if you gently spin the wheel by hand with the throttle applied slightly.

If it starts running after spinning the wheel, I suspect it will be a fault with the Hall sensors or their associated wiring.
However, if it still doesn't run, it is more likely to be the faulty throttle, faulty controller, or a wiring problem.

Carefully inspect the pins on each of the connectors to make sure that none have been accidentally damaged (bent over).

Using a voltmeter set to the appropriate voltage range, place the negative (Black) probe on the "Z/0V" terminal and then use the red probe to:
  • check you have full battery voltage on Connection "G" (Red wire) or the controller will not operate.
  • check you have 4~5V on the "T1/5V" terminal (Red wire)
  • check the throttle control operation by measuring the voltage on the "T2" terminal (Throttle signal wire). The voltage should be ~0.8V with the throttle released, and should rise to at least 3.25V at full throttle.
If all of the above voltage readings are correct, but the motor still refuses to run (even with a bit of a spin) I would say that either the controller or the wiring harness may need to be replaced.  :(

Alan

Offline Wdestler

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 08:00:27 PM »
Thanks. Voltages seem OK. I'm going to return the kit. I have spent five days on this problem.