Author Topic: Magic Pie questions  (Read 2400 times)

Offline TrevorB

• Confirmed
Magic Pie questions
« on: June 20, 2019, 01:38:35 AM »
Hi,
I bought a front wheel Magic Pie 5 Vector with Blue tooth dongle for programming with my iPhone 6s in May. Because of other commitments have only just unpacked this conversion kit. I intend to use 4 12 volt AGM batteries, trying to keep the cost down for my two person trike. I have looked at quite a few of Gary’s videos...great stuff but questions still abound.
A cable with open end, besides a cable with a connector,  comes out of the axle...what is the potential function of this?
Four electrical leads from brakes, throttle, and power module, connect and two leads come out. One of which connects to axle cable,  the other has an open end. What is the potential function of this?
I have downloaded the iOS app, connected battery power (lights show up on power status module) but no blue light comes on blue tooth dongle. Have used iPhone iOS 12.3, iPad, both in portrait and landscape mode and close to the dongle, but cannot get a connection. Any suggestions? With wheel raised off ground have gently touched throttle button and wheel turns.
Trevor Blake...Sidney, British Columbia, retired high school physics teacher.
Greatly appreciate any help or contact with Golden Motor eBikes.
trvblake@gmail.com.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie questions
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2019, 09:45:23 AM »
Hi Trevor andto the forum.

The following diagrams should help answer your questions regarding the wiring:

The unterminated thin wires on the motor harness are for the pedelec sensor (if fitted) and a reverse switch (if required).
The Blue (Reverse) wire simply connects to the Black (Ground) wire via an additional switch to engage reverse.

The unterminated wires on the control harness are use to connect a low current battery voltage horn and/or a low current battery voltage LED lighting. (The switch on the throttle control is then used to turn the lights On and Off)

The light on the Bluetooth dongle should blink once when the battery is first turned on. It will only remain on once a connection has been established between the dongle and the phone.

If your dongle light blinks when the battery power is initially turned on, it should be discoverable with your phone.
If it does not even blink, you may have to contact your supplier and explain the problem.  :(

Here are the instructions from the GM site:

(Click to enlarge)

If your motor is working (but the Bluetooth is not) you should still be able to use the trike in the meantime, but obviously not the Bluetooth features.  ;)

Alan

Offline TrevorB

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2019, 03:44:32 PM »
Thanks Alan,
The wiring diagrams really helped.
With the front wheel off the ground, using my 4 12V AGM14Ah batteries, I have the motor spinning, cruise control, reversing, brake cutting of motor...are all working. I’m really about to hit the road with my  TrikeBike.
Any suggestions for a battery switch? Also an illuminated reverse switch or could I use the horn button for reversing?
Thx again and cheers,
Trevor Blake
trvblake@gmail.com
I have yet to hear from Gary about not being able to connect to Bluetooth by iPhone 6s iOS 12.3

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2019, 10:50:49 AM »
Hi Trevor, it's good to hear that you've been able to understand the wiring diagrams.

If you have sufficient room, I would suggest a key operated battery isolator switch:

An illuminated reverse switch would need to have a suitable resistor on the lighting supply to drop the voltage to ~12V for the bulb/LED inside the switch.

Using the horn button for reverse may cause a problem if you inadvertently pressed the horn button instead if the cruise button at speed.  :o

A simply low current switch is all that is needed to operate the reverse function, but it should be positioned where it can't be switched accidentally or it could have a cover over it to prevent accidental operation, something like this:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 10:31:00 PM by Bikemad »