Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 Vector and rain  (Read 3642 times)

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Magic Pie 5 Vector and rain
« on: December 03, 2017, 06:17:39 PM »
I have a question for those who have the Magic Pie 5 Vector. How does it work in the rain ? Do you need to do any sort of water proofing ? I had a external controller die on me, because it was raining too hard, and water got in and messed up everything inside. The lights would come on my overide switch, but the motor would not turn.

I try to avoid using my Ebike in the rain, when I can. However, sometimes you get caught in the rain and you can't help it.

Offline e-lmer

• Technical Officer
  • Master of Magic
    • My page
Re: Magic Pie 5 Vector and rain
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 09:19:07 PM »
I have heard of people waterproofing the axle area, but it seems pretty well protected from the get-go.

I would not go for immersion, and I would certainly make a cover for the battery that includes protection from the wheels.

I also suggest a pair of stretchy rubber gloves to cover the throttle/battery indicator as those are not waterproof as near as I can tell.

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 11:59:19 PM »
The trottle I typically put a grocery bag over it, and that seems to work.

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 10:36:43 PM »
Rain is normally not an issue but a little prevention does not hurt. On all my builds I create a drip loop near the motor so if any water is running down the cable towards the hub motor it drips to the ground. The cabling is all pretty watertight but it doesn't hurt to make water go away from the motor instead of towards it. Especially right where the cable enters the motor.

Watch this video for 10 seconds to see what I mean.

https://youtu.be/KPk7SqgiuV8?t=11m21s

Gary

Offline Chavivaus

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 02:58:39 AM »
a little bit of dielectric grease on all of your connectors wont hurt

Offline Adamsavage79

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2018, 05:41:48 AM »
Now that I have the kit, I have some concerns about water getting into where the controller is. Especially in winter, when snow and slush tend to stick to everything.. Though I might be only able to ride it when the roads are clear. My old kit has no problems in the winter at all. It didn't like the rain though.. Get's very fussy when the controller gets wet.. Takes about a week for everything to dry out properly. Luckly the replacement controller I got, when the old one died. Is much more water tight.