Author Topic: Any news on any updates for the Bluetooth apps for the Magic Pie 5?  (Read 7270 times)

Offline Papagino

• Confirmed
    • Colloidal silver, your immune system's best friend...
I have a Magic Pie vector 5 with the Bluetooth apps version 1.32 but never had success modifying any settings in the controller with the apps. The Bluetooth dongle does connect to my phone all the time but only work as read only, I cannot write to the controller.

In the apps, I can change parameters in the controller but it will not save them. The "Modify parameter success" message won't appear when clicking on the write to controller icon.

I can however change settings on the controller using my USB cable with the Windows application, telling me that the controller should be fine.

Anyone else have this problem? (The apps work to show voltage, speed, current, battery level... but will not write to controller).

Cheers
Dan

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Any news on any updates for the Bluetooth apps for the Magic Pie 5?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 11:05:16 PM »
The Bluetooth connectivity does seem to suffer from a lot of problems, and I seem to recall that some phones are not able to write to the controller.

Are you able to borrow another suitable Android phone to see if the phone is the cause?

Alan

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2016, 08:56:49 AM »
yes, writing to the controler is the problem.
I discovered that everything matters, the phone, the android version, and finally also the APP version...a real nightmare
I had some sucess on a Samsung Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
see
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=6104.0

Offline Papagino

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2016, 01:55:19 AM »
Hello Asterix, yep, tried the apps you mentioned on an Android 5.1 devise and same problem... will not connect to the Bluetooth dungle. Ho well, I guess will keep using my USB cable to change settings until we get an update on the GM Apps.

Cheers
Dan

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2016, 08:26:24 AM »
may be those who get success should begin to make a list with what exact combination they have tested and each combination should mention the hardware, the OS version and the APP-version, otherwise the information is useless.

Offline Dorbot

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2016, 06:04:25 PM »
Did you press the "write settings to controller" button (2nd from left, green arrow pointing to disk) after you changed stuff?

It works for me using a google nexus 5 running android 6.0.1.

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2016, 06:09:17 PM »
of course Dorbot, but did you get a popup window "write successfull" after you pushed this button?

Offline Dorbot

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2016, 01:57:59 AM »
Nope.  :o
I thought it was working but nothing sticks.
Back to hauling my bike around to a PC.....

anyone know what android version actually works? I can at least try that.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2016, 02:06:09 AM by Dorbot »

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2016, 08:31:28 AM »
yep, this was exactly my impression also: you click on the button...nothing happens...so you imagine everything has worked correctly.
And indeed the software has just ignored what you did!!! Because when you restart the software you realise that none of the changed parameters have been stored.
Really friendly user interface!

At least Asterix has published a combination of working android version, see:
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=6104.0

Offline NR

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2016, 08:04:13 PM »
My smartpie5 works with my oppo phone running android 4.3, it did not work on a dogee running android 4.4, the last one could read, but not write. Hope it helps  ;)

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2016, 09:46:42 PM »
thanks Today for feedback that is in contradiction with the official  GM communication that requests Android 4.4 at least:
http://goldenmotor.com/apps/
 "Android 4.4 or upper versions"

Your feedback goes also in direction of mine: you need rather old versions (of android, of the software, may be of the phone also) in order to have success for writing the parameters.
Has anybody success with an android version >= 6.0 ?
This is not really a good information for the futur: I doubt that there will be some day an update of this software that seems to come directly from stone age.
Last version is more than 6 monthes old...is there any developper still existing for this software?

Really this is a total fail for this product that has so much capabilities to be configured by software, but if you cannot do it when you are on the bike...you will just abandon the configuration and use the product with its default configuration that is of course never optimal to your own needs.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2016, 01:05:01 AM »
I have just been doing some tests with a slightly newer phone and have just encountered the write problem which some members have previously mentioned.

Both phones are Samsung Galaxy Core Primes but the older one (SM-G3608) is running Android 4.4.4 and the newer one (SM-G361F) is running Android 5.1.1.

All five versions of the GM App worked on the older phone, but V1.30, V1.31 and V1.32 could not save the parameters to the controller on the newer phone.

I installed the latest GM App (V1.32 from the GM website) onto the newer phone, which is running Android 5.1.1. It connected to the GM Bluetooth dongle and would read all the parameters and live data etc. but it was unable to write to the controller.

I then uninstalled the GM App (V1.32) and installed an earlier version of the GM App (V1.13) and it saved the parameters to the controller correctly.

I then uninstalled the GM App (V1.13) and installed an earlier version of the GM App (V1.1) and it also saves the parameters to the controller correctly.

As the earlier versions of the App are no longer available on the GM website, I have attached copies of them in this thread (along with the latest version 1.32) for easy access.

Unfortunately, none of the versions I tried would save the parameters to a file on the phone, as the App simply crashed each time I tried to save.  :(

Alan

« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 10:41:35 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Asterix

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2016, 09:06:32 AM »
best thanks Alan for your trials and also good idea to store the old versions on Dropbox folder!
Amazing also that old apps do work better than new (that was also my experience)...really a bad signal concerning software quality production.

I have tried your two old versions : 1.13 and 1.1 on my Android 6.0.1 wyleyfox storm.
APP do install but crash on start.(with or without Bluetooth activated)
So this seems somehow logical: very old apps are incompatible with very new android versions.

I have not tried the old versions 1.13 and 1.1 on my Android 4.4, Galaxy S2 because there I have a working version 1.30, so never change a running system.
If you send me an Email on private message, I can provide you a version 1.30 and 1.31 that you can also put on the dropbox: may be you have more luck with those "intermediate" versions.

Offline Papagino

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2016, 10:55:14 PM »
Yeah! I can confirm that the version 1.1 "goldenmotor1.1.apk" works with my BLU Advance 5.0 (dedicated phone for my bike) running on Android 5.1.

The only thing that I see that is different from the current version 1.32 apk is in the APP settings, where you can fine tune the wheel diameter and variable ratio to correct the displayed speed for your bike, but other than that, it read and write to the controller.

Cheers
Dan
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 10:59:06 PM by Papagino »