Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 - 2 issues - adding a BEAMts torque sensor and regen braking issue.  (Read 3162 times)

Offline Unbalanced

• Confirmed
Hello all.
I have a GM MP5 that I purchased from Lunacycle.  I have installed the kit on a Trek Marlin 7 29'er.  I'm running a 12S 16Ah lipo.  I am also using a generic 5 magnet pedelec from a generic kit I got off Ebay.  The system functions normally and I'm for the most part, very happy with the kit.  I really like the integrated controller and nice waterproof connectors.

First off the regen braking.  This worked fine until I disabled it in the software and tried to re-enable it.  The BAC-601 indicates the EBS active when the brakes are applied, but I get no regen braking at all now.  Not a deal breaker to not have it working, just curious how to turn it back on?  I've tried setting everything back to default settings, turning it off and on saving the parameters but to no avail.

I really want to add a BEAMts torque sensor to my system and run it in parallel with the pedelec.  I have purchased an additional wiring harness and have cut into it to expose the wires.  With my system powered on, I get 3.85V from the "5V supply".  When I connect the BEAMts torque sensor, the voltage is pulled down to 2.2V. Either the BEAMts is drawing too much current, (I tested it at .25A and it functioned perfectly on the bench), or the controller can not supply enough current to connect a pedelec and the BEAMts.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi Jeff andto the forum.

The regen should work again if re-enabled and the settings are then saved correctly to the controller.
Are you using the USB programming cable or the Bluetooth dongle to program the controller?

The +5V supply on the controllers is only meant to provide low current power for up to seven Hall sensors (three in the motor, one in the throttle, one in the pedelec sensor and possibly two more in the brake units) which should each draw ~15mA.
This would give a combined maximum load of 105mA (0.105A) on the +5V supply if all seven sensors are used, but your BEAMts unit wants to draw more than twice this amount (250mA) on its own. :o

I think it is most likely that the additional load is simply too much for the controller to cope with and you may need to install a separate +5V feed from a suitable DC-DC converter. ;)

Alan

Offline Unbalanced

• Confirmed
Hello Alan.
Thank you for the reply.  I'm using the USB cable. 
I assumed the Beamts was overloading the controller.  Great idea on the DC/DC, I need a way to charge my phone anyway.
Regards,
Jeff