Author Topic: Magic Pie 5 help  (Read 4991 times)

Offline Adavis1182

• Confirmed
Magic Pie 5 help
« on: November 09, 2015, 05:10:36 PM »
Hi Everyone!
I have a Magic Pie 5 setup which was running fine. I decided to add the pedelec to see how it would go. Got it on and working but it was way too assistive :D. So I got out my usb, hooked it up to my computer and changed the default from 30 down to 15. Got back on the bike and tried again. Then it felt like the pedelec wasn't doing anything at all! So I hooked it up once more and tried to change it to 25. I had issues saving and think perhaps I messed up connecting. Finally got it, tried again. Suddenly, when I twist the throttle the bike only goes in reverse. I can't pedal with the power on, it's too difficult. Can anyone tell me what it did/how to fix it??
Thanks!

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Magic Pie 5 help
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2015, 07:53:53 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

It sounds like you may have accidentally allowed the Blue and Black wires to touch together which selects the reverse option.

If you cannot easily access the wiring on the pedelec sensor connection cable, you should be able to prevent the motor from running in reverse by simply disabling the "Reverse" function using the programming software.

Alan

Offline Adavis1182

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2015, 10:55:02 PM »
I took a look and my blue wire is hidden so I'm not sure how they could have touched. My kit came with connectors already on the PAS and controller/motor.
I tried to disable reverse in the software and the software now shows it disabled, I uploaded the parameters to the bike and tried again. Still reverse....any other suggestions?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2015, 11:27:04 PM »
If it is still running backwards with Reverse disabled in the software, you will need to send an email to David in China and see if he can help:

Please let us know what the outcome is.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 04, 2017, 11:00:36 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Adavis1182

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2015, 12:14:06 AM »
Thanks, I will!

Offline Supchrgamx

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2015, 04:52:51 AM »
enable the reverse and see if it changes direction

Offline Adavis1182

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2015, 06:33:56 PM »
I tried that too. I'm going to remove the pedelec and see if that helps. Otherwise maybe my computer and controller aren't communicating properly? I'll keep trying things and updating the thread

Offline Adavis1182

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2016, 06:20:15 PM »
UPDATE-finally!
I am still having an issue with the bike going in reverse. I did contact David but his solution was to cross the blue & black wires. I still have not done this. I am hesitant because I'm pretty sure it's a software issue. My blue wire is tucked away so I don't understand how it would have been possible to cross them. I don't think my computer is connecting properly to the controller. When I connect I choose the proper com port, click connect and get the time out error. When I then turn the battery on it does not connect! I tried a different computer and had the same issue. That is why when I disabled the "reverse" mode on the computer I think it did not work. Does anyone know of instructions for this software or what I should try next? How can I get this to connect properly?
I don't have the cycle analyst and I can connect via bluetooth at the moment because when I upgraded my phone to 5.1 android it stopped connecting.

Offline Ecobully

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2016, 11:17:12 PM »
UPDATE-finally!
How can I get this to connect properly?
I don't have the cycle analyst and I can connect via bluetooth at the moment because when I upgraded my phone to 5.1 android it stopped connecting.

I have been having issues with connecting with BT on my Android handsets, too! I have managed to get it connected by first turning off BT, and then making sure that the app is fully closed out of the system.

Next, go to your BT settings page and turn on BT. Wait until it has finished searching for all other devices in the nearby vicinity (there will usually be some type of icon or circle that 'spins' while the searching process is active). Once the searching has stopped, quickly go and open your GoldenMotor.app and tap the "b" icon to search for your GM MP5 via BT. Choose 'GM' and go back to your speedo screen. Hopefully, it will not force close at this point. If it does, repeat as necessary.

GM needs to troubleshoot the way the app handles its BT handshake routine. Probably needs a delay to make sure that BT is finished searching before it goes into its handshake routine with the MP5 -OR- configure BT to be only used by the GoldenMotor.app while it's in use.

If the above does not work at several attempts, you can try to turn off BT and turn it back on and toggle visibility mode (always visible or never visible) and then trying to open the GoldenMotor.app.

Once everything starts working, my phones seem to work fine until the next I reboot the phone or turn on/off BT. Then I have to go through the same annoying process.

** I hope GM redevelops this app as it's a very nice idea. I even see BT battery monitors/BMS hardware coming. Keeping compatibility with iOS and Android with the same hardware is difficult as neither have compatibile BT serial communications with each other.  Log files are great and a miles/km toggle would be a nice added touch moving forward--1.6x variable in the app settings might throw off other figures and calculations (not sure which ones) **