Author Topic: Bike seems dead (no lights switch on after turning key to ignition)  (Read 3294 times)

Offline Jim777

• Confirmed
I'm new to this forum and desperate after installing for the first time a Magic Pie 4 kit.
After connecting all the cables (I have a rear wheel) and checking the parameters with the USB cable (to compare them with the parameters I found on this forum) I turned the bike on. The three lights switched on. I pressed the throttle and the wheel moved half an inch and it sound like bzzzzz. As if the wheel got an electric shock. I released the throttle and it was silent again. I tried it several times, but it was always the same. I took out the power off the battery (btw a 48V), but the wheel didn't spin. The problem remained.
The next day I tried again, but it was the same. I switched the power off and on again, then even the three lights didn't switch on, as if the bike was completely dead. I charged the battery the whole night, but the next morning the bike was still dead. I feel as if the battery has a problem, but it's brandnew. The charger shows a green light (although it's shining is not so strong compared with the red light next to it) to indicate that the battery is full. This was my first time to charge it.

modification above message: I just meassured the Voltage of the two cabels going out of the battery. It's about 61Volts. Then the three lights were lightning again. I jumped on the bike, pedal and as soon as I press the trottle the wheel doesn't want to move. As if I push a brake. So the same problem, but at least the battery is still working.

Any help is very much appreciated.
Jim
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 09:54:04 AM by Jim777 »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Bike seems dead (no lights switch on after turning key to ignition)
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2015, 09:07:39 PM »
Hi Jim andto the forum.

It sounds like you may have a problem with a Hall sensor or one of the connections, incorrectly wired Phase wires, or possibly a faulty controller.

I assume that each of these motors is test run at the factory prior to being packaged and sent out, in which case, the Phase wires must be connected in the correct order.

I suggest you contact your supplier and explain the problem to them and see what they suggest.

I am also concerned about the 61V output from the 48V battery as it should never go above 58.4V maximum (assuming it's a LiFePO4 battery).

What output voltage is marked on your charger?

Is the voltage selector switch set correctly to 220V?

Hopefully the unusually high voltage reading is just the result of an over ambitious voltmeter which can sometimes happen when the voltmeter's battery is getting low ;).

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 12:09:14 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Jim777

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2015, 10:41:19 PM »
Thank you Alan, then I will contact my supplier and let you know. The battery which I got looks a little bit different then the one you're showing me. It's a lifePo4 battery and there is a red mark on 220V on the charger.  Tomorrow I try to figure out how to put a picture of the battery and the charger on your website, because it's almost 1 AM in my country.

Jim

Offline Jim777

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2015, 11:17:15 AM »
http://home.scarlet.be/spurgeon/fiets/battery.jpg
I measured again. Although it fluctuates a little, but it stays more or less below 56V.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2015, 01:17:16 PM »
I see from your photo that the charger has a maximum output voltage of 57.6V, which means the maximum charging voltage per cell is now 3.6V (57.6/16) instead of the previous 3.65V (58.4/16).

56V is a much better than 61 volts for a 48V LiFePO4 battery.  ;)

Alan