Author Topic: Throttle and Brake Regen Signal for Smart Pie 4  (Read 3190 times)

Offline Blackjack993

• Confirmed
Throttle and Brake Regen Signal for Smart Pie 4
« on: April 21, 2015, 01:04:46 AM »
Hi - Does anyone know what sort of signals are being sent with regards to the brake regeneration and throttle for the Smart Pie 4?

Also, if anyone knows what each specific pin is for, that would be great.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Offline Lewis Balentine

• Confirmed
Re: Throttle and Brake Regen Signal for Smart Pie 4
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 01:52:29 AM »
I believe that the throttle signal is nominally 0-5 volts dc.
Take a look at these two threads:
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5531.msg31673
http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5324.msg30501

Having said that I note that replacement throttles for the MP4/SP4 are more expensive than the MP3/SP3 so there may be something different.

« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 01:56:11 AM by Lewis Balentine »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle and Brake Regen Signal for Smart Pie 4
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 12:08:38 PM »
The brake signal from the controller is simply switched to ground to activate the regen:

This picture shows the connections in the socket fitted on the end of the two brake lever cables:

I did try using a potentiometer to see if it would vary the braking force but it just switched from zero to 100% at one point in the angular movement.

The throttle signal is usually ~1V at rest (if it drops below 0.8V it triggers a throttle fault) and around 4.25V at full throttle.
The controller uses a working range of between 1.25V and 3.25V to go from minimum to maximum power/rpm.

The wires on the throttle will perform the same function as the ones on the MPIII but the pin allocation is different:

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:46:27 PM by Bikemad »