Author Topic: Throttle error on Smart Pie 4 (VECTOR)  (Read 4373 times)

Offline Bike noobie

• Confirmed
Throttle error on Smart Pie 4 (VECTOR)
« on: March 19, 2015, 08:01:17 PM »
hello, ive recently received a Smart Pie 4 (rear wheel) as a gift to replace an older golden motor I had and I have the optional display and it always reads as error 2 (throttle) the throttle has a 48 volt sticker on the side and I am currently using a 36 volt battery is this the cause  ? does the 48 volt sticker mean it works upto 48 volt batteries or only on 48 volt? because I assumed the battery could be changed to either 24/36/48 and ive read about people swapping there batteries out and so keep the controller at 24 volts to ensure it works with any battery. would it be better if I asked for a motor with a a 24/36 volt sticker on the throttle ? or is it just a faulty motor and I should try to get it exchanged?

sorry all the questions are so similar im not very good with electronics and this is the only thing I think it could be.

thanks for your time.

p.s I still have my old throttle a twist one could I replace the new thumb throttle to solve this issue ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Throttle error on Smart Pie 4 (VECTOR)
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2015, 11:28:43 PM »
Hi andto the forum.

Although the fault code suggests that the throttle itself is faulty, it could also be a broken/poor connection inside the main front harness or even the motor harness which could cause the same error code.

The voltage stated on the throttle unit only affects the operation of the LED battery gauge, so the throttle should still work in all other aspects.

I won't recommend trying the old throttle just in case the internal wiring is different, but if the connector plug is identical it may well work.

It is probably best to contact the supplier of your kit and explain the problem to them before you do anything else.

Alan

Offline Bike noobie

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2015, 10:18:33 AM »
hi and thanks very much Bikemad! also I had another question the Smart Pie comes with 2 wires unattached with red blue yellow and black am I supposed to connect these together ? or is that for lights ? could this be the cause or is it completely unrelated?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2015, 10:45:47 AM »
The wires are the same as the MPIII and smart Pie 3, so the wires on the front harness are for the LED light and horn and the wires on the motor harness are for the pedelec sensor and reverse switch as shown here:

Do not try to connect these two sets of wires directly together or your controller will probably die!

The only way these wires can cause a problem is when the insulation on the individual wires shrinks back allowing the bare copper wires inside to be exposed, this makes it possible for the exposed wires to touch against each other and that could cause serious problems.

Alan

Offline Bike noobie

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 03:19:40 PM »
thanks bike mad I received a replacement motor and i'm connecting it up now since I tested it and it works, any idea if its bad if I connect my pedal assist but leave the blue (reverse switch) empty and unconnected ?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 03:26:44 PM »
as long as the blue wire is safely insulated it won't cause a problem, otherwise it could possibly touch against the black ground wire which would automatically select reverse. :o

Alan

Offline Bike noobie

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 04:09:44 PM »
 :o indeed. definitely not good