Author Topic: The color coding of the Magic Pie 3  (Read 2971 times)

Offline mbentein

• Confirmed
The color coding of the Magic Pie 3
« on: October 15, 2012, 10:09:31 PM »
Hi
I'm installing the Magic Pie 3 on a muticycle tandem tandem and I need to cut the 8 pin connector cable to make it longer.
Does anyone know the color coding for the connector?  I have a wiring schema but since i'm not going to use the connector itself i'd need to know what are functions of the individual colored wires..

Thanks,
michael

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: The color coding of the Magic Pie III
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 01:52:59 AM »
Michael, unfortunately I have no idea what colour wires are used in either of the cables, or even if the motor harness and the front control harness use the same colours, as I have not yet cut open either of the harnesses to check.

I think it would be much easier to simply cut the front harness and then solder in a length of 8 core network cable to extend the harness to the required length:

Doing it this way would ensure the controller could still be accessed for programming, whilst also allowing the wheel to be more easily removed for changing tyres etc.

If you're still determined to remove the plug and socket from the two harnesses, you will need to trace each wire with a continuity tester to determine which colour wire is connected to which of the pins/sockets on each of the cables. ;)

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:32:30 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: The color coding of the Magic Pie III
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2012, 03:24:47 AM »
Hi, Michael

I extended my cable just the way Alan described, and it worked like a charm.

But I thought of it first! :)  Alan is just a big copy cat.....

Seriously, do it the way he laid out.  KISS is always a good idea.

TTFN,
Dennis