Author Topic: MP3 Controller - Signal voltage  (Read 2600 times)

Offline Typhoon

• Confirmed
MP3 Controller - Signal voltage
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:32 PM »
Hi,

I want to drive a MP3 with pedelec. I heard the goldenmotor PAS sensor is not really good. So I'm going to buy a good one.

Can anyone give me the signal voltage range (Throttle/PAS) which the controller wants for 0% to 100% power. Is there a deadband like 1V (0%) to 4.5V (100%) or something like that?

Thank you.

Best regards,

Typhoon

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MP III Controller - Signal voltage
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 02:14:59 AM »
I haven't tested the MPIII signal voltages yet, but the original Pie's internal controller operated the throttle from 0% @ ~1.5V to 100% @ ~3.5V.
I seem to recall that it also had to be between 0.8V and 1.25V before the throttle would work, due to a safety feature which prevented the motor from running if you accidentally turned on the battery power while the throttle was operated.

I was unable to test the pedelec voltage because it simply refused to work while my voltmeter was connected to the signal wire. ???

Hope this helps.

Alan

Offline Typhoon

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 05:43:19 AM »
Thank you.

GM Cananda said to me:

the PAS will not work well with the mp3. the PAS only detects if you are peddling then runs the motor at full throttle until you stop peddling. then it applies no throttle until you pedal again and it takes off again at full throttle.

I found a precision PAS sensor with an output of 1V to 4.5V. That should be fine.

Best regards

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 04:03:45 AM »
I found a precision PAS sensor with an output of 1V to 4.5V. That should be fine.

Do you have a link or other information to share. I would love to see what you found L)

Gary

Offline Typhoon

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 10:03:21 AM »
There are two types of PAS sensors:

- Digital : Measuring the pedaling frequency with digital impulse. As example a 5 magnet disc give 5 impulse during a full rotation. The controller need to regulate the throttle by the pedaling frequency.

- Analog : The PAS transforms the digital impulses to an analog signal. Typical range is 1V - 4.5V.

With an analog PAS you can use the throttle signal wire. Presumably the Goldenmotor PAS is a digital sensor with 5 magnets. If the controller only give no/full throttle there is a problem with the MP software.

I found some ebike stores in europe. They sell different PAS sensors.

Best regards