Author Topic: MagicPie problem ?  (Read 3781 times)

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
    • GoldenMotor Slovenia, Croatia
MagicPie problem ?
« on: October 05, 2011, 06:09:52 AM »
Hi guys, we have a tough time contacting and getting response from GM stuff regarding solution. If anyone can watch this video and make a suggestion what is going on I would very appreciate it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUdAL1lsxdI

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: MagicPie problem ?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2011, 11:06:03 AM »
Hey mate

I've seen this when I was testing a wheel using a repaired controller.

I had replaced all but 1 of the Mosfets and the same occured when I applied power, I saw the wheel jerk and thought at first it was fixed but alas, it was the final Mosfet

After replacing all 6, I found that 3 had failed in total. When I applied power there was still 1 failed Mosfet, so that's why I would suggest it is that.

They are P140NF75 made by ST Microelectronics if you replace them.

Cheers

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2011, 04:48:35 PM »
I send inquiry to sales of this Mosfets, and I will replay with results... Thanks...

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2011, 03:01:31 AM »
I send inquiry to sales of this Mosfets, and I will  replay with results... Thanks...

I think others have found them on Ebay or another source.
I would try and source them separately as I do not think GM carry these as an individual item.

Who42 from my understanding, has replaced them with another type yielding success. Perhaps you can PM him, or Who42 can post what he replaced them with here.

Since you are replacing these, I would suggest increasing the heatsink area by using a thin piece of aluminum screwed/bolted onto the main controller heatsink. I think from memory you could potentially double the thickness of the heatsink plating without compromising clearance.

Good luck !

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 01:46:41 PM »
I finally got 6 Mosfets and replaced them. Now I got 5 beeps of death... ? Just to let you know guys...

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 03:10:18 PM »
I finally got 6 Mosfets and replaced them. Now I got 5 beeps of death... ? Just to let you know guys...

Nooooooooooooooo :(

Well thats apparently the Mosfet failure sound as you say, maybe check over the connections again??

Maybe you forgot to solder a leg :D

Offline urosv

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 05:54:03 PM »
I take your "re soldering" word into consideration and finally I manage to get MP WORKING !!! Excellent. But I did some small modification in resizing the gap between alu plate and controller for another 0.2mm that Mosfets can have more space between heating side and mounting. I also find that mosfet pins are so damn close to ALU plate that if they move a micron there could be a short... MonkeyMagic thanks for you help . In this position I would like to recommend http://www.farnell.com/ company which and i'm not kidding send me 6 Mosfets from UK to Slovenia in less then 24 hours from order to my doorsteps (guys you are great).

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2011, 09:11:55 AM »
I take your "re soldering" word into consideration and finally I manage to get MP WORKING !!! Excellent. But I did some small modification in resizing the gap between alu plate and controller for another 0.2mm that Mosfets can have more space between heating side and mounting. I also find that mosfet pins are so damn close to ALU plate that if they move a micron there could be a short... MonkeyMagic thanks for you help . In this position I would like to recommend http://www.farnell.com/ company which and I'm not kidding send me 6 Mosfets from UK to Slovenia in less then 24 hours from order to my doorsteps (guys you are great).

I was not kidding when I wrote that, I had a massive inkering as the same thing happened to me also!!!

I'm glad you got it going, boy would your smile have been big once you didn't hear any beeps! I bet you disconnected, and reconnected the power just to make sure :D

You are right about the replacement, I think I forgot to tell you but what I did was cut all of the mosfet legs and then I cut my new Mosfet legs in half, then soldered them 'right angled' to avoid me having to bend them, reposition etc. and that worked trumps.

You can cut some very small pieces off excess heatproof tape that covers the mosfets before binding on the plate to protect the close pins. There is nowhere near enough current or voltage to arc so even if they are microns apart as long as its solid it will be fine

Have a look on the underside of the PCB and look at where all the solder builds up and nearly touches on the cut component legs protruding from the other side - all of it looked dangerous / easy to short when I was in there!!!

Also - I put a piece of canvas tape underneath my 3 phase wires going to the PCB to eliminate them ever shorting on the GND bus line underneath them.

I am very pleased to hear you are back on the road!!!

Now, just use regen sparingly (never holding down constant down a hill, or consecutively after using throttle and it will last you ages. Also just go easy on take off to avoid heat build up, and not to try and use it with a low battery uphill cutting it in and out

Good work mate