Author Topic: The MP on/off switch  (Read 3059 times)

Offline Magzy

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
The MP on/off switch
« on: October 15, 2010, 02:42:06 AM »
I bought a MP with external controller with no battery (I bought a ping) and have come to start assembling it.

While connecting the battery up to the controller seems straight forward I have noticed that the battery box for the MP kit comes with a switch and a key.
Now, having my own battery from ping, I Don't have this luxury so.

my questions are:

1. Do I really really need a switch?
2. if so how do I connect my own makeshift one up to the controller/battery?

Thanks,
Magzy

Offline Sundsvall

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • N 62° 23', E 17° 19'
Re: The MP on/off switch
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2010, 06:01:38 AM »
I have a Ping and an Infineon controller. When I was connecting the battery there was a spark which means something eating power. So I connected a Kraus & Naimer on the negative cable.

Peter
Midsummer sun = up 02:54   down 22:51   angle 51,0° :)
Midwinter sun =    up 09:19   down14:18   angle 4,2° :(
Mean annual temperature = 3,1°C

Offline Cornelius

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
  • Grimstad, Norway
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2010, 07:48:03 AM »
The GM Controller have some large capacitors that charges up when power are applied; that's where the spark come from. I'd think most controller has it. After that inital charge/spark, the controller use little power; usually in the 20mA range.

The switch on the GM battery operates on the main power. The GM Magic Controller should also have a 'control' on/off positive wire, which turns the controller on/puts it in standby mode. In standby mode, the controller uses around 2mA, and one avoids the spark alltogether.
I've modified my GM battery pack, and connected main power directly, and connected a third wire via the key-switch to the on/standby control wire. :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2010, 11:42:26 AM »
1. Do I really really need a switch?
2. if so how do I connect my own makeshift one up to the controller/battery?

Magzy,

A switch is not essential, but it is a nice option which would stop the sparking at the battery connection (and the burning of the contacts) and would also mean you don't have to keep unplugging the connectors each time you stop. As Cornelius said earlier, the switch should be fitted into the wire that goes between the battery + and the "G" connection on the controller. A key switch is probably the most sensible type of switch to fit, but a normal switch can be used if you're going to remove your battery each time it's parked up.

Check out the cruise controller wiring diagram for more details.

Alan