Author Topic: 5 BIPS... MAGIC PIE DIED AFTER 1 MONTH OF HAPPY RIDING.  (Read 10327 times)

Offline keratea

• Confirmed
5 BIPS... MAGIC PIE DIED AFTER 1 MONTH OF HAPPY RIDING.
« on: August 12, 2010, 08:38:13 PM »
Well... And here is the problem.All started today morning.The battery was full of charge, when I twisted the throttle, the motor started to spin for a while, and then nothing.5 BIPS are coming from the wheel, no movement at all.
When I move the whell by hand there is a resictanse from the wheel.
I am afraid that the controller has died.
Every time I turn on the key it bips 5 times...The 3 leds of the trottle are on.  
Is there a procedure to fix it or I must ask for a replacement internal controller?

« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:41:36 PM by keratea »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: 5 BIPS... MAGIC PIE DIED AFTER 1 MONTH OF HAPPY RIDING.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2010, 11:30:39 PM »

Is there a procedure to fix it or I must ask for a replacement internal controller?

Hi sorry to hear you're having these issues.

You can fix by replacing the fets or you can get a replacement controller.  I think GM are going to go with external controllers soon with the MP.

Maybe get another external controller. A little more work running phase wires and hall wires out of the motor, but may be better in the long run to do this work now and get an external controller while you are having to do this work.

Leslie.

Bring it on

Offline Henkav

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2010, 05:55:50 AM »
Keretea wrote: MAGIC PIE DIED AFTER 1 MONTH OF HAPPY RIDING.

Laslie answered with I think GM are going to go with external controllers soon with the MP.

Nice for all the people who bought the internal one.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:02:44 AM by Henkav »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2010, 06:12:24 AM »
Keretea wrote: MAGIC PIE DIED AFTER 1 MONTH OF HAPPY RIDING.

Laslie answered with I think GM are going to go with external controllers soon with the MP.

Nice for all the people who bought the internal one.

Ahh don't get me wrong, GM may replace the internal controller under warranty if you really want that and has replaced internal controllers before, but my suggestion is to get an external controller and be done with the internal controller now when you have the motor open to be fixed.

Please don't get angry.  I just ordered two pies with internal controllers for special price.  I will prolly need to change it and I will make it external.

I think GM thought by making the external internal controller it makes it difficult for customers to make mistakes and it looks better. The right idea "concept" but it may not be working as planed.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2010, 06:20:25 AM by 317537 »

Bring it on

Offline keratea

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2010, 06:14:42 AM »
O.K. Leslie.

You have help me already whith spokes problem and truing and I want your help.
I think that an external controller is the better solution than to fix these fets...
I believe that after another month there must be the same problem with internal one.
But I am in guaranty...
O.K. I have a lot of soldering work to do. But to pay for this external controller and the cost of shipping from China to Greece it will be very expensive for me...
Is there  someone else at goldenmotor who can do a deal for a replacment controller (and some extra stuff I want to buy)?
(I have sent Tom a first email and I am waiting for the reply)
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:52:54 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2010, 06:33:53 AM »
O.K. Leslie.

You have help me already whith spokes problem and truing and I want your help.
I think that an external controller is the better solution than to fix these fets...
I believe that after another month there must be the same problem with internal one.
But I am in guaranty...
O.K. I have a lot of soldering work to do. But to pay for this external controller and the cost of shipping from China to Greece it will be very expensive for me...
Is there  someone else at goldenmotor who can do a deal for a replacment controller (and some extra stuff I want to buy)?
(I have sent Tom a first email and I am waiting for the reply)

Ok maybe GM will replace your internal with external I am not GM I am just a MSpaint engineer and dreamer of good things. :P

But I will stand by you and help as much as I can.  You need to take some pictures when you repair. And you need to find out if you can get replacement contoller.

Any 3 phase 48v controller with 40 amps max will do if you have to buy another ::), it depends on GM. And if you have to buy another, look around.

Generally I don't repeat a bad experience but I have very good experiences and bad.

If I have to buy a Pie with internal controller just to get the Magic Pie then I will work to make my bike what I want it to be.  GM parts are entry level purchase, the Pie is more powerful, wild, and fast than I think GM knows. :D
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:53:49 AM by Bikemad »

Bring it on

Offline keratea

• Confirmed
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 09:08:36 AM »
Thank you very match for the response.
I have emailed to Tom and I am waiting an answer for the external controller now... :'(
Anyway I was just to make an extra order to GM and this is a good time to syncronize my order with a free of charge replacement controoler.
I will infrorme you what is next.

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 05:00:44 PM »
I e-mailed Tom several times asking for a new controller and wiring harness for pie.  No chance in hell of that. Probably over a month now.

I had to open motor and re wire for external controller, and I strongly advise an external controller that can provide more than 20 amps continuous. The magic controller will only supply 20 not 30 max! If that's okay for you then great, if not then look else where.

I really don't want to run down GM's products, the pie motor is fantastically powerful, 25mph max @48-52 volts. Massive torque, if driven with a good controller 35 amps +. But If going external one of the infenion controllers will do the job, and some have an on off switch which will eliminate the need for a big switch, or relay, to switch power on and off from the battery! You will probably have to replace the connections on the motor to fit their controller.

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: controller current limit
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 07:07:28 PM »
The magic controller will only supply 20 not 30 max!

My Magic Pie is just over 20Amps but Bruno's Magic Pie is 30Amps:

Using a Watt metter my pie shows 30A of max current

If the Magic Pies can vary by such a large amount, presumably the external controllers may vary as well.

So some of the external controllers may actually allow 30Amps of power to be used after all.

Alan

Offline o00scorpion00o

• Confirmed
  • Master of Magic
Re: controller current limit
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 10:08:29 PM »
The magic controller will only supply 20 not 30 max!

My Magic Pie is just over 20Amps but Bruno's Magic Pie is 30Amps:

Using a Watt metter my pie shows 30A of max current

If the Magic Pies can vary by such a large amount, presumably the external controllers may vary as well.

So some of the external controllers may actually allow 30Amps of power to be used after all.

Alan

These controllers be they internal or external should be as advertised, no exceptions. It is not fair on customers to pay  for something and it not do as advertised. If these controllers are not suitable for the job, then they should provide alternatives. GM are way to far away for most of us to have to pay for returns.

I e-mailed Tom and asked for an internal controller, I wasn't asking for it for free. I got no controller! I tried to mod it after I found it underpowered and it only supplied 15 amps. Unacceptable

I  had to rewire my pie for an external controller. I then Bought the external magic controller and found it only supplied 20 amps max and not 30, again, unacceptable. That controller died. yes I modded it to supply 35 amps. you could say I was responsible for that and the internal controllers untimely death, but had they been as advertised I would not have needed to mod!

I have now bought a controller from another supplier. I was left with no option.

Offline keratea

• Confirmed
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2010, 04:35:23 AM »
Please give me ideas from your experiance for a new good external controller, for 36v and above , better than GM sales , in case Tom is not responsing to solve my problem...
If GM do not replace the failed (or bad) controller, or Tom do not reply as some of you wrote, it must be the first time in my (42 years old) life that the warranty has no value...
I can not forget when my philips pc monitor failed ,1 day before warranty expires, and after a call to the headmaster office in nederlands, the problem was solved.The next morning a replacement monitor was send to me by courier, free of charge , and took the failed one.
Now tell me shall I buy another brand in electronics than philips? You see what I mean warranty.
I am sure that GM is a serius company and is good for the company to here her customers not only when they give her idias how to make better products, but to be with them at the bad times as I am now,looking my bike and to can do nothing at all. 

Offline Leslie

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2010, 09:04:37 AM »
Please give me ideas from your experiance for a new good external controller, for 36v and above , better than GM sales , in case Tom is not responsing to solve my problem...
If GM do not replace the failed (or bad) controller, or Tom do not reply as some of you wrote, it must be the first time in my (42 years old) life that the warranty has no value...
I can not forget when my philips pc monitor failed ,1 day before warranty expires, and after a call to the headmaster office in nederlands, the problem was solved.The next morning a replacement monitor was send to me by courier, free of charge , and took the failed one.
Now tell me shall I buy another brand in electronics than philips? You see what I mean warranty.
I am sure that GM is a serius company and is good for the company to here her customers not only when they give her idias how to make better products, but to be with them at the bad times as I am now,looking my bike and to can do nothing at all. 

I have no idea, they all have their sweet spot.   Have you tried to get a replacement part

Bring it on

Offline keratea

• Confirmed
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2010, 12:11:36 PM »
3 days and no response from Tom... ??? ??? ???

Offline keratea

• Confirmed
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2010, 01:10:20 PM »
4 days and no response from Tom... :'(

Offline Husvarden

• Confirmed
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:30:38 PM »
Hi keratea

The same problem have happend to me this morning. I have had it for 5 weeks and only rided 50 km with the bike and this morning then I was going to my work,it didnt work anymore.
Fully rechargeble battery, the 3 leds was on, a little spinn on the frontweel and suddenly it breaked and gave the 5 beeps.

I have check all wires and tried to turn off/on the battery but it just gives me the 5 beeps. I can also feel the resictanse from the wheel.

I have sent Tom and email now