Author Topic: GM Internal Controller - 100A or 50A  (Read 3786 times)

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
GM Internal Controller - 100A or 50A
« on: September 04, 2014, 09:53:34 AM »
Hi All

After suffering multiple failures of the MP3 internal controller I'm biting the bullet and starting a build using an external controller.
I'm looking at the GM controllers and not sure if I should go for the 50A or 100A version.

26" Rear MP3 with 48V 10ah GM battery

Is there any performance benefits to be gained from using the 100A controller over the 50A?

The 50A is cheaper, smaller and lighter so would obviously prefer to go for that unless the 100A brings something to the party?

Any advice much appreciated.

1,200 miles travelled so far using 4 internal controllers - not giving up yet....

Cheers
Ben

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: GM Internal Controller - 100A or 50A
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2014, 01:30:34 PM »
Is there any performance benefits to be gained from using the 100A controller over the 50A?

Hi Ben,

Although the 100A controller should provide greater power, you poor battery may not like it and I suspect the battery's BMS would keep cutting out if you have the power set too high.

If you run the 100A controller at the same power as the 50A controller it might be more efficient and produce less heat.

If you were to upgrade the battery as well, the 100A controller would make a significant difference to the power of the motor, but you would also need to make sure you have some decent torque arms fitted to the axle (and a wheelie bar).

I don't know whether the stated Amperage rating refers to phase wire current (which is higher) or battery current. But I do know from experience that the Magic Pie produces incredible torque and is fantastic fun to ride when it's drawing anywhere near 100 Amps from the battery.

If anyone has tried the 100A controller on the Magic Pie it would be nice to have some feedback.

Alan

« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 09:16:45 AM by Bikemad »

Offline Bedmountain

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: GM Internal Controller - 100A or 50A
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2014, 08:05:42 AM »
Thanks Alan - great advice as always....