Author Topic: Is PAS really this bad?  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Jbwiden

• Confirmed
Is PAS really this bad?
« on: June 24, 2018, 05:59:32 AM »
Just got around to installing the PAS sensor that I bought with the Magic Pie Edge kit and am quite disappointed.

I knew that the PAS is only driven by cadence, though it seems to have a poor ramping curve. It either has nearly no assistance at low RPM or is dumping max current into the motor whenever you pedal even slightly faster than before. Whenever I upshift even one gear on the cassette when gaining speed the cadence of the pedaling again drops and no more assistance. With some tweaking of settings and some adjustments to riding style it is still bad but somewhat better.

What really got me aggravated is that it seems that to actually control PAS level (Off, 1-5 level) you need the app to actually be open, connected, and on the main screen. So if you make a PAS setting changes from app main screen it will be lost if the app loses connection to the controller. It then reverts back to a high PAS level (probably 5) and might just take off on you unexpectedly if you switch to another app or if the Bluetooth signal randomly disconnects from controller.

There also is an overall PAS gain setting in the settings but it just shifts the curve.

To top it off, it appear that the PAS and throttle enable flags in the settings menu do not actually work. So to actually disable this, which is to help ensure it doesn't take off on me I need to disconnect the PAS sensor.

Is my experience expected?

Offline Hastings

• Confirmed
  • Magic Undergrad
Re: Is PAS really this bad?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:24:31 AM »
yes.

I have an older setup but:There is a delay in starting and in winding down power when on PAS. Ofter almost not beeing able to stop I disconnected mine för good.
I have stalled in a build with Thun torque/pas sensor and  Cycle analyst  3.0 .but I believe that might offer a more seamless approach.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:33:19 AM by Hastings »

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 12:12:19 AM »
Just got around to installing the PAS sensor that I bought with the Magic Pie Edge kit and am quite disappointed.

I knew that the PAS is only driven by cadence, though it seems to have a poor ramping curve. It either has nearly no assistance at low RPM or is dumping max current into the motor whenever you pedal even slightly faster than before. Whenever I upshift even one gear on the cassette when gaining speed the cadence of the pedaling again drops and no more assistance. With some tweaking of settings and some adjustments to riding style it is still bad but somewhat better.

What really got me aggravated is that it seems that to actually control PAS level (Off, 1-5 level) you need the app to actually be open, connected, and on the main screen. So if you make a PAS setting changes from app main screen it will be lost if the app loses connection to the controller. It then reverts back to a high PAS level (probably 5) and might just take off on you unexpectedly if you switch to another app or if the Bluetooth signal randomly disconnects from controller.

There also is an overall PAS gain setting in the settings but it just shifts the curve.

To top it off, it appear that the PAS and throttle enable flags in the settings menu do not actually work. So to actually disable this, which is to help ensure it doesn't take off on me I need to disconnect the PAS sensor.

Is my experience expected?

I have just set up my bike,and have the exact same thing,the PAS works fine until the app looses signal and off we go until it rediscovers itself,and goes back to the desired level,not nice when navigating a canal towpath...
i am going to order the smart screen,to see if this stops the problem as this is hard wired,will let you know forthwith.. :-\

Offline Jbwiden

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 12:30:41 AM »
I'm just using throttle and cruise control. Even if the issue with the app wasn't present I'm not happy with the implementation.

Though even the throttle has a bad curve. I get no response for the first 1/4 of throttle movent. Though this is at least is something that I can live with.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2018, 12:43:55 AM by Jbwiden »

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 11:29:47 AM »
I am going to order the smart screen,to see if this stops the problem as this is hard wired,will let you know forthwith.. :-\

Make sure you order the correct version as the BAC-601 is different for MP4 and MP5 motors.  ;)

Alan

Offline HiJaak

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2018, 12:16:06 AM »
Have you considered,CA3 Compatible Mini PAS Sensor with 24 poles for Immediate Engagement, for square taper spindles.

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2018, 02:49:05 PM »
Though even the throttle has a bad curve. I get no response for the first 1/4 of throttle movent. Though this is at least is something that I can live with.

Hall sensor throttle outputs can be adjusted some what if desired... I'd start with verifying your throttle's output first, as it may show other issues.This is my output profile which works well for me.

There is a little play in the front. But I like it just in case I accidently bump the throttle. Keeps from losing cruise.  ::) If you have too much play in front. You can raise the starting output voltage by adding resistance to the ground leg of the sensor. See diagram below.

This does not change ending output voltage.

Here's a blank profile form for you.    :)

Regards,
T.C.

See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Jbwiden

• Confirmed
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2018, 09:12:58 PM »
> Have you considered,CA3 Compatible Mini PAS Sensor with 24 poles for Immediate Engagement, for square taper spindles.

I think it is less a problem with the PAS sensor having low pole count and more of how it is mapped to motor speed on the controller side.

> Hall sensor throttle outputs can be adjusted some what if desired... I'd start with verifying your throttle's output first, as it may show other issues.This is my output profile which works well for me.

This is great info. Though I think mine is decent enough to not feel inclined to start modifying it.

Offline Dave D

• Confirmed
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2018, 10:26:42 AM »
well I put on the smart screen, now have the problem you seem to have,where when cycling the pedal assistance just drops,and comes back every now and then,but this is a pain if climbing,  can anyone help a novice with no deep electronic knowledge...all above going over my head..

Thanks for any help..

Offline Neven

• Confirmed
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
That cut out is the normal function of Pas with the vector controllers.  There is a reason many report not relying on it.  I personally use it due to damaging my throttle when messing with the wiring, but I installed a high pole count magnet wheel for almost instant engagement and I use cruise control in conjunction.  It is a bit frustrating getting the timing right some days for cruise control though.  I have a voltage based Pas sensor on the way from China ATM which I've read several places makes cadence based Pas reliable with the Magic Pies of connected to throttles