Author Topic: Pedelec function - how does it work (always activated?)- BAC281  (Read 7350 times)

Offline liared

I  am about to order a Golden Motor kit (36V 250Watt front hub mini motor, BAC-281”magic” controller) with Pedelec function.
I want the Pedelec function always being activated making my pedaling go easier with motor assist.
 The BAC-281 manual says:
”7. 1+1 Pedal Assist Mode:
Release the throttle to zero (Neutral) position during riding, press cruise speed controller button twice,
listen  beep sound, the system enters into pedelec mode.”

Question
After this initial activation of the Pedelec function - will it  remain activated the next time I use the bike and also stay activated also on following rides?
This the behavior I expect - not having to activate the Pedelec function for each ride.
Does it in this case matter if the throttle function is activated or not? Suppose I do not install the throttle function.
Throttle is actually not quite legal in Sweden (EU) and I can well do without that.
I do however need the Pedelec function always being active. The max speed limitation of 25 km/h in EU is not a big problem as I can always stop pedaling for a moment if speed gets high – I prefer going at a nice moderate speed with just pedal assist.

Can anyone recommend a suitable torque arm for my front motor installation?!

Offline liared

Re: Pedelec function - how does it work (always activated?)- BAC281
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2009, 07:21:32 AM »
After I posted my question I browsed other posts and found this one from PerBear:

Re: EPAC - How to make e-bike with Golden Motor parts legal in Europe
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 06:08:22 PM »
-----------------------------------------
Pedal usage sensor (Pedelec) only works when manually enabled - it should automatically be working when powering up
Throttle overrides the pedelec sensor - it should be the other way - throttle should only work when pedaling if connected.
-----------------------------------------
This means that I have to activate the Pedelec function every time I start the bike for a new ride by performing the following actions:

”7. 1+1 Pedal Assist Mode:
Release the throttle to zero (Neutral) position during riding, press cruise speed controller button twice,
listen  beep sound, the system enters into pedelec mode.”

I also implies that I have the throttle function installed and activated in order to activate Pedal Assist as described above.

It would have been more convenient if I could have the Pedelec function always automatically activated.
Grateful if someone who has experience could confirm my conclusions......

Offline Barry

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 12:37:08 PM »
For me the pedelec is always active. I cannot make it not active.

I think either something is lost in the Chinese to English translation or sometning has been changed int eh controller since printing the manual.

Also, when I start pedaling it is the same as pressing the throttle all the way. It does not increase or decrease the amount of motor assist dependent on the amount or speed you are pedaling.

I removed my pedelec because of this.

Offline Perbear

• Technical Officer
  • Magic Undergrad
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2009, 10:32:03 PM »
For me the pedelec is always active. I cannot make it not active.

GM has done some alteration on how the PAS work. Latest revision of BAC firmware activates PAS automatically when connected. Unfortunately I believe the automatic throttle that was a problem earlier is still present on the latest firmware.

IMHO is that the only way to make the non-torque sensing PAS work is to allow manual modulation of motor power via throttle input. To be legal in Europe, the throttle must only work when you are pedaling.

Would that work for you?

Offline Barry

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 03:51:09 AM »
For me the throttle does nothing when I am pedaling. The pedelec just turns the throttle wide open whenever I am pedaling. If I stop pedaling then the throttle works normally.

Again, I removed the pedelec because to me it is not only worthless, it is very undesirable.