Author Topic: Golden Motor Canada & 12 Inch 250w 36 volt direct drive front wheel with tire  (Read 4505 times)

Offline Supermanic

• Confirmed
Hello,

So I have a few questions, first is there anybody manning or handling business at the canadian goldenmotors?

Basically are they still in business, have what stock they say, and will ship something if I purchase something?

im yet to get any replies I need from them or their parent and that therefore makes me very reticent to just ship them some money.

Secondly im dealing with a poor design issue on an electric standing scooter I have and need a new wheel. Theres a 12 Inch 250w 36 volt direct drive front wheel with tire on offer from goldenmotor in stock on their canadian website, however there is zero information on it and I cant seem to find any anywhere.

It doesnt even tell me the width for the front fork let alone anything else.

Id just like to know the specs on it and how ill be able to connect it to the battery I already have. I don't want to dump anymore money into this then I already have without some sort of assurances or at least information. after $1500 for a scooter only to have the back wheel constantly break spokes due to a flawed design, and be left with no options to resolve that issue other then its my fault or on me, im a little reticent to just jump in and spend more money before getting any kind of help or service.

Im still dealing with the supplier of the scooter I did purchase, but im not holding out hope for anything other then my having to litigate in order to get the service I not only require and demand, but that I deserve.

The battery is a kettle battery with a 9 pin DIN type connector. Id just like to know what that motor is specced at, how to change it if I can and what sort of connector I might need or if they have one, so that if I purchase the wheel I don't have to wait until it arrives only to find out I have to wait another few weeks and spend more money for other parts I need to get it operational.

I just need my scooter operational and a tired of being screwed around everywhere by people just needing sales and money.

Thanks in advance for your time and your help.

:)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Hi andto the forum.

Golden Motor Canada is definitely still in business and is run singlehandedly by Gary Salo, who runs this business in addition to his full time job which pays his bills. He also has a personal life and family commitments that need to be fitted in somewhere, as well as making videos to assist customers, so please don't expect to receive instant replies to enquiries, especially if you bombard him with multiple emails or involved questions.

Looking at the GoldenMotor.ca site, it does not appear to give any indication of actual stock levels, so there is no inference as to whether he actually keeps the item you require in stock or not, but I presume that if the item you were purchasing was not currently held in stock this would be indicated prior to payment, but I don't know for sure.

Your comment regarding "zero information" is obviously somewhat exaggerated, as you already have several important pieces of information in the title alone, and the picture of the item also provides additional useful information:

From the picture and title I can extract the following information:
  • it is 12" in diameter
  • power is rated as 250 Watts
  • nominal voltage is 36V
  • it is direct drive and does not contain any gears
  • it a front wheel
  • it comes complete with a tire
  • it is a three phase brushless motor
  • it has Hall sensors
  • the wires exit through the centre of the axle
  • it has a machined cast alloy rim
  • it is silver and black in colour
  • the tire is pneumatic, not solid
  • the inner tube is fitted with a schrader type valve and dust cap
  • the flat edges of the  rim would enable it to be used successfully with "V" brakes
  • it is equipped with tabbed torque washers to resist the axle torque to prevent the axle from turning
  • the cable is over three feet long

Therefore I am able to tell you that you would definitely need a brushless motor controller to allow you to use this motor in your scooter.

Unfortunately, all I know about your "$1500 electric standing scooter" is that it has a "poor design issue" so "the back wheel constantly break spokes" and it has "a kettle battery with a 9 pin DIN type connector", which is not the best of descriptions when it comes to extracting useful information.  ;)

If you had supplied the make, model, motor type, power and battery voltage (or even a link to the seller's website to search for this information) it would certainly have helped as, unfortunately for both of us, telepathy is not one of my strong points.  ;)

From the limited information that you have supplied, I suspect that the use of a 9 pin DIN connector on the battery signifies that the motor controller is probably built into the battery pack, but without knowing what wires are connected to the motor, I cannot say whether your existing motor is brushed (requiring just 2 thick Battery wires) or brushless (requiring 3 thick Phase wires, usually accompanied by 5 thin hall sensor wires, unless it is sensorless).

So, it is difficult to say what would be involved in swapping these motors, even if the dropout width requirement was the same for both motors.
Even if your existing motor is brushless with 3 thick and 5 thin wires, I suspect the connectors will still be different.

Unfortunately, not everything in life is quite as simple and straightforward as you might want it to be.

Alan

« Last Edit: April 04, 2023, 11:49:48 AM by Bikemad »