Author Topic: How do the front and back versions of the 902 model differ?  (Read 4008 times)

Offline Wustling

• Confirmed
I am considering using a 902 model (20") as the rear right wheel of a Sidekick quad bike. The maker of the bike insists that I use a Magic Pie 3 instead, but he's not communicating well, so I can't figure out why he recommends only that model.

My requirements are different from what the Pie 3 offers:
* The motor should not be easy to identify. The 902's look comes closer to a normal bike's break / generator system,  which suits me better.
* I don't need high speeds. 10-15mph is just fine.

The thing that worries me, though, is whether the 902 will at all fit. I was looking for specs on the width of the axle but could not find any.

I guess that the front version might be narrower, but I'm not sure. Is it? How wide is it, exactly?

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: How do the front and back versions of the 902 model differ?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2014, 10:00:34 PM »
I was looking for specs on the width of the axle but could not find any.

I guess that the front version might be narrower, but I'm not sure. Is it? How wide is it, exactly?

Hi andto the forum.

I don't think that the 902 (minimotor) is going to be suitable for your intended use.
They have noisy plastic gears that can strip if overloaded too much and the windings are also prone to overheating under prolonged slow speed load.

Here are the dimensions of the front minimotor that Perbear posted on the forum:

And here are a few other points you might also want to consider:
  • The minimotor cannot be used for regenerative braking as it has a freewheel device inside the gears.
  • The MPIII is larger and will produce much more torque.
  • The MPIII axle should be stronger as it doesn't have a hollow axle with the wires running through it like the minimotor.
  • The MPIII also has a built in controller which makes the installation and wiring a lot neater.
  • The Sidekick quad bike has a hole rather than the conventional slotted dropout for the axle to fit into, this would make it very difficult to fit the minimotor because its wires (complete with block connector etc.) exit through the centre of the axle.

Check out Dan's YouTube videos for more details of the 20" Front MPIII which he has mounted on the rear of his Sidekick quad bike:
MPIII Installation
MPIII Operation

Alan

« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 11:48:00 PM by Bikemad »

Offline Wustling

• Confirmed
Re: How do the front and back versions of the 902 model differ?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 07:29:29 AM »
Thanks, Alan. I do not care for the regenerative braking much, but the other points are a concern to me, indeed.