Author Topic: Undervolting these 2 hub motors for 18 volt?  (Read 6524 times)

Offline Yoma

• Confirmed
Undervolting these 2 hub motors for 18 volt?
« on: July 22, 2011, 07:40:32 PM »
is this possible to undervolt these 2 hub motors ( HUB24E  /   Model: MW12B  ) to 18 volt - pr even 14  through the GM controller ?

I see its says programmable to 24 / 36 or 48 but somone here claims its can use 18 volt , or this a different controller ?

http://visforvoltage.org/forum/8642-fancy-golden-motor-controller-what-do-you-think-about-it

Can any one verify this , as this would be a great help.

cheers,

yoma
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 09:42:50 PM by yoma »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Undervolting these 2 hub motors for 18 volt?
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 06:18:07 AM »
Sangesf is a member here, he might be able to add some advice ;)

But even if it did run down to 18V, if you were using 18v batteries, the voltage drop would surely kick in the low voltage cutout.

So I would suggest using 22V batteries instead, to cater for usage

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 06:23:16 PM »
is this possible to undervolt these 2 hub motors ( HUB24E  /   Model: MW12B  ) to 18 volt - pr even 14  through the GM controller ?

Yoma, as the MW12B is a brushless motor it should work happily with the Magic controller, but it would still require a 24V battery, as the low voltage cut-off would prevent the use of voltages lower than ~21V.  It should be possible to run it on voltages as low as 18V (with a suitable  brushless controller that's designed for 18V use) but the speed and power would be significantly reduced.

The HUB24E however, is a brushed motor and therefore cannot work with the GM magic controller at any voltage, but if you can find an 18V brushed controller, it should also work, but again there would be a noticeable reduction in speed and power.
Please also note that this motor is equipped with an electrically operated brake release unit which requires a minimum of 18V to operate correctly. If you are considering using an 18V SLA battery configuration, the recommended minimum discharge voltage is ~15.75V, but this might not be enough to operate the electrically operated brake release mechanism.

As the MW12B is a brushless motor, it should work with the Magic controller, but it would still require a 24V battery as the low voltage cut-off should prevent the use of voltages lower than ~21V.

Alan

Offline Yoma

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2011, 09:30:42 PM »
is this possible to undervolt these 2 hub motors ( HUB24E  /   Model: MW12B  ) to 18 volt - pr even 14  through the GM controller ?

Yoma, as the MW12B is a brushless motor it should work happily with the Magic controller, but it would still require a 24V battery, as the low voltage cut-off would prevent the use of voltages lower than ~21V.  It should be possible to run it on voltages as low as 18V (with a suitable  brushless controller that's designed for 18V use) but the speed and power would be significantly reduced.

The HUB24E however, is a brushed motor and therefore cannot work with the GM magic controller at any voltage, but if you can find an 18V brushed controller, it should also work, but again there would be a noticeable reduction in speed and power.
Please also note that this motor is equipped with an electrically operated brake release unit which requires a minimum of 18V to operate correctly. If you are considering using an 18V SLA battery configuration, the recommended minimum discharge voltage is ~15.75V, but this might not be enough to operate the electrically operated brake release mechanism.

As the MW12B is a brushless motor, it should work with the Magic controller, but it would still require a 24V battery as the low voltage cut-off should prevent the use of voltages lower than ~21V.

Alan

Alan ,

Im assuming that most of these small hub have both  forward and reverse , so  probably arent capable of freewheeling - but theres no mention of it anywhere either.

If anyone does have one of these motors ( perhaps one of the sellers )  it might also be a good idea to check cogging resistance of the motor, by spinning the wheel once , hard by hand,  with one stroke, and counting how many turns before it stops ?

thanks again for all your help,

yoma
« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 10:08:44 PM by yoma »

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 10:40:47 AM »

If anyone does have one of these motors ( perhaps one of the sellers )  it might also be a good idea to check cogging resistance of the motor, by spinning the wheel once , hard by hand,  with one stroke, and counting how many turns before it stops ?

yoma

How hard is hard ? :D

I have a Brushless 8" motor off a mobility scooter, I just stood on the axle and spun it sideways, it did 2 nearly 3 spins.

I'm using this one for a motorised grass edger haha

Offline Yoma

• Confirmed
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 01:09:37 PM »

yoma

How hard is hard ? :D

I have a Brushless 8" motor off a mobility scooter, I just stood on the axle and spun it sideways, it did 2 nearly 3 spins.

I'm using this one for a motorised grass edger haha

Bad wording  , considering how hard my hard is :)

Is that a gm motor your talking about ?

yoma