Author Topic: Help to decide!  (Read 16491 times)

Offline MonkeyMagic

• Cheeky Chimp
  • Technical Officer
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Help to decide!
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2011, 03:52:58 AM »
Hey Gingey are you going to the Himalayas??
Oh wait you already said no :D

Looks tough man, you should hook up a windscreen washer pump with a tube from you panniers to your helmet so you don't get thirsty ;)

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2011, 01:31:30 PM »
HI Ginge

After looking at the link again, I am fasinated by the map and the detailed information provided on the right side and below. How is this done?

Gary

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2011, 08:21:54 PM »
as im a runner, I use a watch called the Garmin forerunner 305, its a GPS watch that provides realtime gps speed altitude and performance data whilst on the run, it also has multisport for biking etc....

You can record previous workouts / routes and next time race against yourself .....truly excellent...speed.average, heart rate calories mileage laptimes etc etc...about £100 now in the uk

The GPS maps / tracks are then loaded into web software, in this case www.endomondo.com

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=142&pID=349

hope the link works, otherwise any google search will do

try www.endomondo.com...search for paul kinsella united kingdom, there are various workouts there you can see the different info

regards
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2011, 09:32:53 PM »
p.s the panniers hold the home built batteries on either side, low down to the ground over the rear wheel, and the waterproof clothes ....

sometimes in my commute im 10 miles from the nearest town....need toolkit, 2-3 tubes, folding tyre, compressed air pump etc etc etc

after years of long distance daily cycling, I can tell you, you need to be able to strip down the bike on the roadside, if you cannot, you havent got enough on the bike........if it can happen it will

but town commuting is definitely different.....

as for trailers, im really thinking about it, but they are not common in the uk ( ive never seen one in 20 years), and this will definitely be like a large red target for police, drunk youth etc etc.....but hey, im a drunk old so its still an option

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2011, 01:54:29 AM »

as for trailers, im really thinking about it, but they are not common in the uk ( ive never seen one in 20 years), and this will definitely be like a large red target for police, drunk youth etc etc.....but hey, im a drunk old so its still an option

Sounds like you need a trailor big enough to sleep in  ;)

I also carry everything I need for any repair or whether. Nothing worse then sitting there thinking "why didn't I bring my stuff? It's there, in a bag, all I had to do was take it!"

Gary
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:34:52 AM by GM Canada »

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2011, 01:58:41 AM »
as im a runner, I use a watch called the Garmin forerunner 305, its a GPS watch that provides realtime gps speed altitude and performance data whilst on the run, it also has multisport for biking etc....

Very cool! For a person that always feels like I just have to have it all, I like it!

Ok you got me, I am now looking locally on ebay.ca for this watch follow the link

http://cgi.ebay.ca/New-Garmin-Forerunner-305-Waterproof-Running-GPS-/280585089145?pt=GPS_Devices&hash=item41542cb079

Is this the same watch. Are there differrent versions. I see some say waterproof. Are they all the same? is a 305 a 305 and thats it?

I have come back 3 times to edit this now. I just found all the versions on the garmin website. Now Im looking at the 405cx.

Seriously you guys have to stop showing me this stuff!  :o
Gary
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 02:57:40 AM by GM Canada »

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2011, 07:39:09 AM »
yup, I have ruined the lives of everyone around me, showing them sports gadgets, electric bikes  and homebrewing :)

The watches are for the most part waterproof, but there are some connectors on the back ( contact pads) that corrode a bit with sweat, however cover with insulating tape and all is fine...

i use the 305 standard, but there are more 305 versions suited for different tasks
you can also get a cadence sensor for the bike, so the gps will track pedalling rates, heart rate monitor comes as standard etc
you can set min max speeds and have the watch tell you off if you go too fast etc
handlebar mounts are available for them
( gary's savings dissapate faster than a 6 amp sla)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2011, 12:00:37 PM »

The watches are for the most part waterproof, but there are some connectors on the back ( contact pads) that corrode a bit with sweat, however cover with insulating tape and all is fine...

I find that very hard to believe, you ride a bike with dual pies and you still manage to raise a sweat! ::)
Perhaps it's a side effect of the increased adrenalin that's bound to be produced riding a bike with all that power.

Alan

Offline GM Canada

• Super Gary
  • Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #38 on: February 11, 2011, 12:51:49 PM »
yup, I have ruined the lives of everyone around me, showing them sports gadgets, electric bikes  and homebrewing :)

i use the 305 standard, but there are more 305 versions suited for different tasks
you can also get a cadence sensor for the bike, so the gps will track pedalling rates, heart rate monitor comes as standard etc
you can set min max speeds and have the watch tell you off if you go too fast etc
handlebar mounts are available for them
( gary's savings dissapate faster than a 6 amp sla)

I came so close to clicking the "buy it now" button last night. I did manage to resist, but I don't know how long it will last. The last time this happened someone said "Hey, have you ever seen a BOB trailor?" Im sure you know how that turned out. Also I never realized who you were before until I saw your name yesterday. It looked familiar so I looked you up and you have bought from me several times. I thank you for that  ;D

Gary