Author Topic: MPIII Diagnose throttle/controller issue  (Read 2679 times)

Offline Shane

• Confirmed
MPIII Diagnose throttle/controller issue
« on: January 26, 2018, 09:14:55 AM »
Hi!
I am experiencing problems with my MPIII. The throttle does not make the motor react.

I have an MPIII with what I understand to be a version 2 harness. I saw on the forum a picture posted a couple of years ago that advised you could bypass the throttle and use a paperclip to connect sockets 4 and 6 to get the motor to run at full speed.

My connector plug does not look like the picture posted. It looks like this:

If you think of the two holes nearest to my thumb with the two holes that are furthest apart from each other as the bottom of the connector and the other two sets of three holes as the middle and top. Would I be right in thinking the two connection holes that are furthest apart from each other in the 'middle' as 4 and 6?

I do not want to make a mistake and do damage.

Offline Tommycat

• Confirmed
  • Bachelor of Magic
Re: MPIII Diagnose throttle/controller issue
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 02:01:13 PM »

I do not want to make a mistake and do damage.

Yes it looks to me like there might be full battery power and ground around...do not jumper willy nilly.  :-)

Perhaps this thread will help...

https://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=5964.0

Best regards,

T.C.
See my completed Magic Pie V5 rear hub E-Bike build  HERE.

Offline Shane

• Confirmed
Re: MPIII Diagnose throttle/controller issue
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 11:08:40 AM »
Hi Shane,

It looks like you have the early MP111 harness with the 8 pin main connector, in which case the connections should be as follows:

Linking the +5V to the Throttle Signal contacts should cause the motor to spin at full speed, so make sure the wheel is off the ground before you start.

You must make sure that the battery is turned on before joining the two contacts.

It might be a good idea to tape over the remaining contacts before you start to prevent accidentally touching the wrong connector.

if you are using a paper clip, make sure it is not plastic coated, and don't push it completely into the holes as it could open the contacts too much resulting in a poor grip/contact on the original pins.

As long as you physically touch the two contacts with the paper clip or wire it should cause the motor to run (assuming there are no further problems with the motor/controller/harness).

Regards,

Alan