Author Topic: Stator cracked  (Read 2819 times)

Offline Christoff

• Confirmed
Stator cracked
« on: September 17, 2013, 05:58:33 PM »
I stripped the thread on my Magic Pie 2 wheel, and had to open it up to get the thread repaired. Upon inspection, the inside stator has a lot of fatigue cracks, similar but not as bad as this guys had: http://goldenmotor.com/SMF/index.php?topic=4448.0

I see on the forums that others have also noticed these types of cracks on their stators. I only ride flats tarred road, with the normal road-to-pavement bumps that are not more than 5cm high. I did not expect the wheel to show this kind of fatigue cracks already.

Does anyone have suggestions of how I can fix it before the cracks develop further? I am sure more people must also have had this issue? It seems the Magic Pie stator is not strong enough for the normal forces it sees when used with a 48V battery pack?

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Stator cracked
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 06:15:15 PM »
Hi Christoff,

Someone earlier tried to weld repair a stator, and it was a disaster.  Without seeing photos, and assuming the stator is cracked, but still in one piece, and not distorted,  I suggest two possibilities:

1.  laminate carbon fiber fabric over the surface of the stator to reinforce the entire surface open to your access. I would use a high strength epoxy, and put several layers over/around the cracks.

2.  use J-B Weld and aluminum stock to reinforce the areas that are cracked.

I'm sure you will get more/better suggestions as the day goes by.

TTFN,
Dennis

Offline Christoff

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:16:38 PM »
Hi, thanks for the advice so far. I had the same solution in mind. I think of placing steel wire next to the ribs, and then bonding them on with a very strong epoxy adhesive.

Here are the photos of the cracks. Still small, but I have to do something about it:

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 09:40:12 PM »
THat sounds like a goo idea, but I would put Vee shaped wires in each of the open areas.   Make sure you abrade the surface and have everything clean before you mix the epoxy.

TTFN,
Dennis