Author Topic: General fascination with electricity and electric motors  (Read 4817 times)

Offline NDustReal

• Confirmed
General fascination with electricity and electric motors
« on: December 28, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
Hi there. My name is James and I have a general fascination with electricity and electric motors. One thing I wanted to mention was my discovery with a simple motor..  The design where you wrap a coil rounds and charge either end with the magnet to make it spin. Well I have discovered that if you shape the coil in the shape of a flying UFO saucer disk the coil spins much faster than if it were round. Like 5 times faster.. Under the same applied force. Its a pretty easy thing to do. Perhaps someone else would like to try this at home and tell me the results. All you do is follow an instructional video for a simple motor but instead of round coils you squish it and flatten it to look like a UFO saucer disk type shape(top and bottom of disk is mirrored.) You'll find that it spins so fast its hard to get anything to hold the shape without framework, the copper wire stretches and tries to fly apart.

Offline Morgen 3Eman

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
Re: General fascination with electricity and electric motors
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2014, 02:00:26 AM »
Hi James,

Can you show us a picture? 

TTFN
Dennis

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: General fascination with electricity and electric motors
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 05:14:07 PM »
I think James is probably describing this:

I would expect the motor on the right to spin faster, but it should also develop a lot less torque.

Alan
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 03:47:08 PM by Bikemad »