Author Topic: Smart pie vs Magic pie  (Read 5380 times)

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
Smart pie vs Magic pie
« on: March 22, 2015, 11:03:09 PM »
Hi everyone,
I have some questions. First I know that the Magic Pie has more torque than the Smart Pie but does it affect a lot the ridding? I also saw that the 2 top speed where at 44km/h but the Magic Pie is consuming 1000w and the Smart Pie 400w. Does it means that de Magic Pie at the same speed will drain my battery a lot more fast? (I'm thinking about getting a 48v10amp). Finally, if the Magic Pie is making 1000w at 48v does it also means that it is illegal to run it? (500w limit). If yes that's mean that only the Smart Pie can be use legally but it needs to stop at 32km/h. If I stop using it at 32km/h is that legal or I need to program a cut-off? I know, I have a lot of questions. Hope someone here can help me!

Thanks!  :)

Offline Bikemad

• Global Moderator
  • Professor
  • PhD. Magic
Re: Smart pie vs Magic Pie
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 12:28:01 AM »
Hi Mathzaros andto the forum.

Because of its larger size, the Magic Pie will create a lot more magnetic drag when you are pedalling along without motor assistance than the Smart Pie, and this starts to become very noticeable at speeds above 10 mph.

I would expect the Magic Pie and Smart Pie to use a similar amount of battery capacity if ridden at the same constant speed. The Magic Pie has the capacity to use a lot more battery capacity if you use the full available power, but if they are both limited to the same level of power there is unlikely to be a tremendous difference between the two.

The controllers can be adjusted with the USB programming lead to set the maximum available power and speed to ensure your motor won't exceed the legal limits. (Check out this thread for more details.)

Alan

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 01:29:05 AM »
Ok nice! But why it is saying that at 48v it will be 1000w for the Magic Pie and 400w for the Smart Pie? Also, what you are saying is that the Magic Pie is more easy to pedal with and that with the same force it can go faster? Finally, 44km/h is the speed with or without pedalling? What speed is possible while pedalling?

Thanks you very much!

PS: What are the consequences for riding over 500w or over 32km/h. I wanted to be able to go faster a bit but mostly I want to be able to go up some hills.

Offline Mathzaros

• Confirmed
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:20:59 PM »
I take time to reflect and it's for my budget the Smart Pie seem's a better option. I wanted to know, the top speed is the same but it as less torque?
If I like pedalling, it will compense for the lack of torque? SO pedalling a bit in the hill will make the hub like the Magic Pie?
Thanks  ;)

Offline Brendon1128

• Confirmed
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2015, 02:53:45 PM »
The power ratings are mostly for marketing purposes. Actual power consumption is based on how much the controller draws. The SP controller lists 18 amps max continuous (which is around 860 watts). Max burst you can set it to is around 30 or 35 I think, but I've never seen it draw more than 20 on my bike. Cruising you use a lot less. This is mostly when accelerating and going up steep hills. The SP gets pretty inefficient at high power anyways because it doesnt have the same pulling power of an MP. Youre basically just burning energy if you try to draw more amps. Think about it like leverage on a wrench. A smaller wrench doesnt give you the same leverage a larger one does when unscrewing a bolt. MP accelerates faster and climbs hills better. Top speed is about the same. Since its a direct drive (one "speed"), your top speed will be more controlled by the diameter of your wheel.

All that being said, I've found the SP is great for cycling and meets all my needs. Unless you live in a very hilly area, an SP should suffice. I can easily cruise at 25 mph with just some light pedalling. If youre looking to pop wheelies or climb the hills of San Fran, then go MP. The SP might be a little more efficient since it weighs less, but it wont make a huge difference in wh/mile.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 02:56:47 PM by Brendon1128 »