Author Topic: my extreme e-chopper build  (Read 5039 times)

Offline cougarw

my extreme e-chopper build
« on: June 03, 2011, 12:26:02 AM »

For those seeking a bit of motivation:

For construction details, the original 2Mb image can be viewed here:

http://madscienceunlimited.com/blackbird.jpg

I call it The Blackbird after the SR-71, which it somewhat resembles when it's taking the road.

This is a full custom welded frame, all the materials came from the local hardware store and a donor bike. Spring suspensions front and rear, and a 6-speed changer. The rear drive is a 36V/750W GM hub, the wheel is my own design. It is driven by a pair of 36V/16Ah batteries, not in the photo because they were upstairs on the chargers. The front is not a hub motor, but a hub brake. That and the regen braking are all it has (the rear disk is not working.) With two batteries it has a range of around 40 miles at a crusing speed of maybe 15 mph in traffic.

This is just my prototype, has about 12,000 miles on it (I commute daily) and I have recently dropped in a much larger battery from Ping. 40V/30Ah. Though it is badly worn out from the miles the monster fairly flys still. I have materials on hand to build another one, dual 750s and the big battery. It will use some wood in the frame to reduce weight and make it look a little nicer.

I'll probably open a thread here as I build the new bike, and will also post to my website, if anyone is interested in the second build.

~ cougar

Offline DirtyGinge

• Confirmed
  • PhD. Magic
  • Im just trying to find my niche.3 e-bikes is fine
Re: my extreme e-chopper build
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
thats really cool...i must build my own frame, I really need an armchair ride :)
Infineon lyen edition 12 Fet
Goldenmotor Magic pie rear ....2000 Watt peak
oh yea.....Im too fat :)...but cute, oh yea, im cute